XW-P1 or CTK-7200?

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
Does anyone have any opinions or advice as to which would be better-- an XW-P1 or a CTK-7200? I've been extremely interested in both of them for a while now, but having going back and forth over which one I'd prefer.

To be honest, I can't really afford either one right now, at least new. But I just became aware of an XW-P1 that someone's selling used for under $300, which is a real bargain (almost the kind of bargain that makes you wonder if there's some kind of damage or defect). So I'm strongly tempted to snatch it up (if it's still available).

I guess what I'm most interested in is the ability to create my own patches or tones (as Casio calls them). I'm also interested in the organ drawbars (sliders). How does the CTK-7200's tone-editing ability measure up against the XW-P1, including the ability to modify the drawbar organ tones with the sliders?

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
The 7200 is more of an arranger keyboard while the XW is more of a performance synth. Instead of styles the XW has a programmable 16 beat step sequencer which programs like a standalone drum machine.

The mono synth section has up to 6 programmable oscillators with all sorts of programmable filters and effects.

The drawbar organ section is nice with a fully set of drawbars.

Actually it's a very very deep synth which requires a lot of commitment to learning how to program properly.

But it's really got some amazing sounds in it. If you are into electronica then it has the 7200 beaten hands down.

At any rate, I sort of maintain the FAQ for the XW series over at Casiomusicforums.com.

I'd suggest reading thru the FAQ thread and watching Mike Martin's XW programming tutorials over on Youtube to get a handle on it.

http://www.casiomusicforums.com/index.php?/topic/4489-xw-series-faq/

http://www.casiomusicforums.com/index.php?/topic/4489-xw-series-faq/#entry11109

I ended up paying $520 for mine when it first came out. Nowadays if you shop around for a new one you can find them for $399.

I have to say it's an amazing synth with the best bang for the buck in its price range.

Nothing else around the $500 price point even comes close.

Gary ;)

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
I'm sorely tempted to. I'd have to travel a bit as it isn't in my immediate area, plus I'm visiting my parents right now. So if I do get it, it won't be until another few days at the earliest. :)

Edit: Actually, it's no longer showing up on Craigslist, so it must be sold already. It was listed for-- get this-- $275, and the listing was already a few days old, so at that price I don't imagine it was available for very long before someone snatched it up!

Last edited:

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Go ahead..... You know you want to..... So you have to brownbag your lunches for a month. Just think of how many hours you'll forget about food entirely while you are immersed in programming and playing that beast! ;)

Plus worst case scenario. If ya don't enjoy it, you can always sell it off again for as much as you paid for it ;)

Gary

Last edited:

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score

Ask a Question