y helo thar

Reaction score
Hi. Pretty new to keyboards. Did a one year music course where keyboards(classical piano basically) was part of the course, bought myself a very cheap casio peice of **** which made me lose interrest in keyboards. It also had the nice bonus of making me learn bad technique due to it's cheapness, my dynamics was all over the place when I played on velocity sensitive keyboards. That was back in late 2005 and 2006.

Now, I'm looking to buy a new keyboard(alot to take into consideration) and to practice(basically starting fresh) so that I can play properly live and for recording. I'm currently looking at Korg keyboards, especially the Korg TR88(I have my heart set on a 88-key keyboard), but I havn't had much time to do proper research on other brands like Roland or Yamaha. Any advice on this will be much appreciated. I'm going with a friend to various local music dealers this weekend to try out as many models as I can.

I will be playing powermetal style, so like iamthetrees666 bands like Dragonforce, Dream Theatre, Children of Bodom, and the vast myriad of other powermetal bands are influences in terms of the style and sound of keyboards I want to play.

And yeah, that is all for now. I'm really glad I found these forums, the internet seems to be a bit barren regarding keyboard forums.

Reaction score
if you're into that kind of music the TR will suit you just fine.

If you stump across a trinity proX take a look at that keyboard as well.
It can be bought only used (since it dates back in 1996-7) but it has a touch screen, and more insert effects (that's one thing that is not done quite well on the TR since you have only ONE insert effects for ALL EIGHT combi programs, so the sounds won't be the same as in program mode).

Also, if you come across a TRITON LE for a better price you might
think of getting that one instead of the TR. They are practicly the same
(TR has a bigger wave ROM and some new sounds but that's about it)

In the mid range yamaha has the MO8. I think it's a better keyboard
then the TR but that's cause I use a lot of piano sounds which suck bigtime
on korg... But mainly those are the options (if you're planing on buying a new keyboard that is...)

Ask a Question