Yahama PSR e433 mid load- help me out

play mid file yahama PSR e433

• psr

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • psr 433

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Reaction score
i am new to yamaha keyboard , i am using yamaha psr e433 and i have some of the mid songs, I would like to upload and play mid file.please help me.

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
There are three ways you can play external MIDI song files with your PSR-E433:

1) Save the MIDI song file onto a USB flash drive and insert the USB flash drive into the USB TO DEVICE port. You can then play the song directly from the USB flash drive.

2) Connect the keyboard to a computer using a USB cable plugged into the USB TO HOST port. You can then play a MIDI song file on the computer using a DAW or a MIDI player and have the keyboard play the notes.

3) Connect the keyboard to a computer and move the MIDI song file from the computer into the keyboard's internal memory using the Yamaha MusicSoft Downloader program. You can then play the song directly from the keyboard.

There are several things to be aware of:

Not all USB flash drives are compatible with the PSR-E433-- in particular, USB 3.0 flash drives are not compatible, and it's possible that some USB 1.1 or 2.0 flash drives might also be incompatible. It's recommended that you refer to the list of compatible USB flash drives which is posted on Yamaha's web site.

When you insert a USB flash drive into the USB TO DEVICE port, you must wait for a bit while the keyboard mounts the drive. The "USB" indicator will be displayed in the upper left corner of the keyboard's LCD screen when the drive is ready to use.

To play a MIDI song file directly from a USB flash drive, the file must be placed in the drive's root directory, or inside a folder within the root directory (called a "first-level" folder in the Owner's Manual), or inside a subfolder of a first-level folder (called a "second-level" folder in the Owner's Manual).

The only way to load a MIDI song file into the keyboard's memory is by using the Yamaha MusicSoft Downloader program, which is available for free from Yamaha's web site. If you're using an iPad instead of a computer, the equivalent program is the Yamaha MusicSoft Manager app, which is available for free from Apple's app store.

When you load a MIDI song file into the keyboard's memory using either the MusicSoft Downloader or MusicSoft Manager, the file is physically moved (not copied) from the computer or iPad into the keyboard-- i.e., after the move operation has completed, the file will no longer be present on the computer or iPad. Therefore it's recommended that you always make a backup copy of the file on the computer or iPad before you transfer it to the keyboard.

The MIDI song file must have a file extension of .MID-- if the file has an extension of .KAR (karaoke), it must be renamed to the .MID extension or it will not be displayed.

When you press the keyboard's SONG button and scroll through the available songs, any external MIDI song files will be numbered 111 and above. In this case, "external" means any song that is not built into the keyboard, so any files that have been transferred into the keyboard's memory are still considered to be external files.

Unless the MIDI song file uses only GM voices, it's possible-- even likely-- that some of the voices used might not be available on the PSR-E433, in which case they should default to an equivalent GM voice. It's a good idea to use a utility program to examine the voices and effects (e.g., reverb and chorus types) used in the MIDI song file and edit them as needed to pick the best-sounding voices (and effects types) which are available on the PSR-E433. That process can be somewhat involved, so it's recommended that you do not worry about it until after you've gained some degree of familiarity with using your keyboard and have learned about its MIDI features.

Reaction score
Hello Michael,

Thanks for your prompt reply and appreciate you support. As you mentioned I used the option 1 to play the MID songs via keyboard and even option 3 also used to transfer files to internal memory.

i want to know is it possible to connect Mic to my keyboard.

SeaGtGruff

Reaction score
No, the PSR-E433 does not have an Audio In jack, so there's nowhere to plug in a microphone.

Reaction score
Hello. My question is a bit similar - yet from the other way around:) I'm trying to transfer an already recorded song from my PSR 433. I connected it to my PC, and have been trying to use Musicsoft Downloader. I was following the guide manual step by step until i got the place where i should be seeing my recorded files under Electronic musical instruments directories - however, there are no songs recognized as recorded songs - in any of the format (let alone MIDI). What could possibly be the problem? The connection check was positive. Could it be that the song didn't save as a MIDI file? How could i change that? Or is there a way i could still transfer this file somehow, even though it's not showing on the Musicsoft? Perhaps by playing and at the same time recording on some DAW? Will be very grateful for your response.

SeaGtGruff

Reaction score
If the song is a User Song, it is included within the Backup file (PSRE433.BUP) with the rest of the keyboard's system memory and cannot be extracted from the Backup using the Yamaha Musicsoft Downloader program.

Instead, what you should do is plug a USB 2.0 flash drive (or "thumb drive" as they're often called) into the keyboard's USB TO DEVICE port, then press and hold the FUNCTION button to call up the FILE CONTROL menu, select the SAVE SMF option, and save the desired User Song to a MIDI song file ("Standard MIDI File" or "SMF"). Then you can just copy the MIDI song file from the USB flash drive to your computer.

Reaction score
Hi Mr. SeaGtGruff, I would like to know; how can I play my Mid format songs in my usb stick on my yamaha psr e 433?? I'm tring to plug in the usb to the keyboard, then I'm waiting for the process. When the keyboard sees my usb stick I'm pushing 3 seconds on the function button, then LCD screen shows me the ''Load STY''..After that when I push the '0' or 'execute' button; the keyboard says: ''no file''..But I'm sure my usb stick is full of mid format songs...I changed the usb stick and tried again, but the same problem keeps going...So what do u think? In ur opinion what is the problem? And How can I solve it?

Last edited:

SeaGtGruff

Reaction score
Are you trying to load a style file into one of the five user style numbers, or are you trying to play a MIDI song file?

The procedure you described is for loading a style file. If that's what you're trying to do, you need to make sure the style file is compatible with the PSR-E433:

- The filename extension must be .STY.
- The style file must be in Yamaha's SFF1 style file format.
- The file should be no larger than approximately 50kB or it will be too large to load.

The style may also need to be tweaked (or edited) for the voices, effects, and style variations to make it completely compatible with the capabilities and limitations of the PSR-E433.

On the other hand, if you're trying to play MIDI song files, as you said, then you don't even need to go into the FILE CONTROL menu at all; simply press the SONG button and press the CATEGORY buttons until you see the name of one of the MIDI song files that you know is on the USB flash drive, then use the plus (+) or minus (-) buttons on the numeric keypad (which are also labeled YES and NO) until you see the song you want to play, then press START.

Reaction score
Hello? I loaded .sty file to my PSRE443 keyboard on 201,202 and 203. The loaded styles are playing but there's no sound. I can't hear the beat. Please help.

SeaGtGruff

Reaction score
First, make sure the Style Volume function hasn't been turned down.

If the Style Volume is okay-- a setting of 100 is normal-- then use a style utility program like MixMaster or Style Revoicer to check the voices being selected and, if necessary, replace them with voices that your keyboard has.

Reaction score
I have already done all that but there's no sound yet. The style is playing but no sound. I've noticed the track control is also off from 1 to 6

SeaGtGruff

Reaction score
Are you able to turn on the Track Control, or does it stay off even when you try to turn it on? As far as I know, the Track Control shows which tracks have data on them, so if they're all off and can't be turned on, it would suggest that none of the tracks have data.

If you're on a Windows computer, try using the event list in the free MixMaster utility to see what sort of messages (if any) are in the style file. If you aren't on a Windows computer, you can also use a DAW or other MIDI utility that can list the MIDI messages in a file, but the nice thing about MixMaster is that it understands Yamaha's messages, and if you have a voice list for your instrument then MixMaster can flag any voices it sees in the file which do not exist on your model.

SeaGtGruff

Reaction score
That's great! What was the solution? Sooner or later, someone else is bound to have the same issue.

Ask a Question