Yamaha AI fingering

Reaction score
how do i play a major,minor, aug, dim, maj7, min7 using ai fingering?
e.g. a major would be 1st and third.only
thanks all
Yes i tried asking yamaha- no reply!
Tried stores - no help!

Reaction score
The details by your user name says that you have been a member since 2007, so presumably you have had some form of keyboard in the time period since then.

Can I ask how you have been playing chords up to now?

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
Hi @anon125! I think the answer might vary depending on which model you're using. Are you still using a PSR-E model, or have you upgraded to a PSR-S or something similar?

Reaction score
SX900 thanks
i have been looking for some time, and can find bits of info here and there.
Looks like i am looking for a secret code! of course i am not, but as you see it is not obvious to most!
I have the article Coyboy cites, but not all chords are on that page.

SeaGtGruff

Reaction score
I know that the chord chart in the PSR-E manuals shows which keys can be omitted when playing a given chord, so you might check the PSR-SX900 manual to see if it does the same thing.

Reaction score
thanks but i only find partial info.
Most of these chords is what i am looking for

Attachments

• chords - Edited.png
    chords - Edited.png
    91.3 KB · Views: 255

SeaGtGruff

Reaction score
When I was looking over the manuals, I noticed they spoke of the "Fingered" and "AI Fingered" modes, saying that "AI Fingered" mode is
Basically the same as Fingered, with the exception that less than three notes can be played to indicate the chords (based on the previously played chord, etc.).
That implies that you can start by omitting any notes which are shown as optional for the Fingered mode, but that it's possible to omit additional notes such that "less than three notes can ... indicate the chords." The problem is, it then says "based on the previously played chord, etc.," which also implies that the additional optional notes for a given chord can vary according to whatever chord precedes it.

As far as I know, the panel display shows the name of the detected chord, so you might have to experiment a bit by playing a chord type, then playing one of the other chord types that you're specifically curious about, and see which of its notes you can omit and still have the display indicate the chord you're trying for. For instance, you can start by playing a C and E to see if the AI mode detects them as a C Major chord, then try changing the E to B (that is, C plus the B above it) to see if the AI mode detects them as a C Major 7th.

Reaction score
Yamaha sent me a chart of all the chords that can be played with AI, but they do not seem to know HOW to play them!

Reaction score
When I was looking over the manuals, I noticed they spoke of the "Fingered" and "AI Fingered" modes, saying that "AI Fingered" mode is

That implies that you can start by omitting any notes which are shown as optional for the Fingered mode, but that it's possible to omit additional notes such that "less than three notes can ... indicate the chords." The problem is, it then says "based on the previously played chord, etc.," which also implies that the additional optional notes for a given chord can vary according to whatever chord precedes it.

As far as I know, the panel display shows the name of the detected chord, so you might have to experiment a bit by playing a chord type, then playing one of the other chord types that you're specifically curious about, and see which of its notes you can omit and still have the display indicate the chord you're trying for. For instance, you can start by playing a C and E to see if the AI mode detects them as a C Major chord, then try changing the E to B (that is, C plus the B above it) to see if the AI mode detects them as a C Major 7th.
Hit and miss is a terrible last resort!
thanks

Reaction score
Hey here is a radical suggestion, the Op could learn to play the chords properly.
You have insufficient info on everybody you write about
Hopefully you are healthy and have many years ahead of you to learn all you can. some are not as fortunate

Reaction score
Yamaha sent this but did not say which notes can be left out with ai.
anyone have a genos, or sx7 or 900 and lots of patience!!

edit:Just noticed it does NOT say AI fingered. looks like yamaha does NOT know what ai fingering is!

Attachments

• yamaha ai doable chords.png
    yamaha ai doable chords.png
    218.7 KB · Views: 772
Last edited:

Rayblewit

Love Music / Love Life
Reaction score
Hopefully you are healthy and have many years ahead of you to learn all you can. some are not as fortunate
. . . Referring to Biggles suggestion.

Hey anon. Do you suffer a problem with your fingers or some other handicap? In which case there have been some relevant suggestion here.

If you are fully fit, then learning proper fingering for chords is the best solution. It would be less stressful for you.

All the best.

Ray

SeaGtGruff

Reaction score
The problem is, apparently (based on the way "AI Fingered" mode is described in the documentation) the notes which can be omitted from a given chord type could vary depending on the chord preceding it. That means there's no simple way to say which notes can be omitted. The customer support people at Yamaha might not know which two notes are required and which notes can be omitted; it's possible that only the technical workers who designed the logic used in the keyboard's ROM chips truly know which notes can be omitted and in which situations.

Reaction score
how do i play a major,minor, aug, dim, maj7, min7 using ai fingering?
e.g. a major would be 1st and third.only
thanks all
Yes i tried asking yamaha- no reply!
Tried stores - no help!
Those types of chords require 3 keys, not 2 like M and m

Ask a Question