Yamaha Apple Application (Scale Tuner) works on Yamaha DGX-640?

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
I don't own a DGX-640, so I don't know for sure, but I think it probably does work. The DGX-640 is XGlite-compatible, so it should accept XG scale-tuning messages.

Do you already own a DGX-640, or are you considering one but first want to know whether or not the Scale Tuner app will work with it?

If the former, then you can just download the app and try it out for yourself, since it's free.

If the latter, I'll try it out with my PSR-E433, which is also XGlite-compatible but which doesn't have any built-in scale-tuning functions (unlike the newer PSR-E443). If it works, I'll let you know.

Reaction score
Thanks Michael

I'm considering buy one.
I saw on Scale Tuner Application Features it says it's compatible with DGX-650. As DGX-650 functionality is too similiar as DGX-640 so as you mentioned probably it works.

SeaGtGruff

Reaction score
The Owner's Manual for the DGX-650 doesn't show any scale-tuning functions, so if the app is supposed to be compatible with the DGX-650 then it should also be compatible with the DGX-640. There are probably other Yamaha apps that are also compatible even though they might seem too "advanced" for the DGX-640-- e.g., the Sound Controller app and the Faders app.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Hi Abdollah, welcome to the forums. I've moved your posts to a new thread, as you'd posted it across 6 other threads - please keep new topics in new thread and don't make duplicate posts, as it can make things confusing for others.

SeaGtGruff

Reaction score
By the way, I was just watching a video last night from NAMM 2015 in which a Yamaha rep was showing the new PSR-E353. He had an iPad hooked up to it running (I think) Yamaha's Sound Controller app, which includes-- among other things-- a virtual pitch bend wheel and modulation wheel. He specifically stated that the app gave the PSR-E353 pitch-bending and modulation abilities, even though it doesn't have an actual pitch bend wheel or modulation wheel.

Incidentally, I recently had trouble finding the Sound Controller app, as well as Yamaha's Synth Book app, in Apple's App Store, apparently because they're flagged as being for the iPhone and hence don't show up in a search for iPad apps, even though they do work on the iPad. So if you're on an iPad and are searching for a particular Yamaha app in the App Store, if you have trouble finding it then you should go to Yamaha's web site in the browser and click on the link there, which should take you to the app in the store.

SeaGtGruff

Reaction score
Just to be clear, I wasn't recommending the PSR-E353-- not that there's anything "wrong" with it (for an inexpensive entry-level keyboard)-- I was just pointing out that the Sound Controller app does work with it, and hence it will also work with the DGX-640, as should the app you originally asked about. I've recently downloaded a few different Yamaha apps to try with my PSR-E443, and I'll post the results after I test them out. :)

Ask a Question