Yamaha CLP 760 and TG 55 Midi to IRIG PRO/DUO

Reaction score
Hello! I've never done this so not sure where to begin but here goes...I have a Yamaha CLP-760 Keyboard and Yamaha TG-55 Tone generator. My problem is this...I'm trying to hook up midi to a new IRIG PRO Duo, which works fine with midi out of the Keyboard to the IRIIG, but when I "daisy chain" the TG by plugging Keyboard midi out into the TG IN and then OUT from TG into the IRIG it does not work at all. Nothing seems to recognize this arrangement (Garage Band, Sampletank, etc) This is very frustrating, can anyone please assist? By the way, when I have the midi out from the Keyboard into the TG by itself with audio cables it works great, it just won't extend to the IRIG unit! Thank you in advance for any guidance re this!

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
What happens if you try hooking up the TG-55 directly to the iRig without the keyboard?

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Hmm, don’t I need the keyboard to “play” thru the tg? I’ll try it but cannot until tomorrow now, thanks!

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Unless I miss my guess, the iRig, IIRC is a computer to MIDI interface of sorts, no?

It should be simple to download or create a standard MID file and play it back thru the TG module.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Ok Gary, I will try that, but I really want to be be able to play the CLP 760 thru the TG, since it’s a beautiful instrument, weighted velocity driven keys, etc.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
We're trying to isolate the cause of the problem here.

This is not a "workaround."

Gary ;)

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
BTW, you DO have the MIDI THRU as your output from the TG module don't you? Have you checked your manual for MIDI settings? MIDI THRU often has to be enabled in some fashion.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
No, midi out from keyboard to in on TG, then out from TG to iRig interface. I’ll try thru tomorrow, thanks for the persistence Gary, really appreciate it!

Reaction score
Thank you! I have the TG manual and it works GREAT with the keyboard (yes, both 30 years old but work well for me!) I think the issue relates to not utilizing the thru port (per Gary) will get to it later today, thanks!

Reaction score
Thank you! I have the TG manual and it works GREAT with the keyboard (yes, both 30 years old but work well for me!) I think the issue relates to not utilizing the thru port (per Gary) will get to it later today, thanks!
Yes, you have to use the TG55 THRU port and, also set-up the (matching )midi channels for the devices in the MIDI chain. Don

Reaction score
So frustrating! OK Gary, I've connected the TG 55 MIDI out into MIDI in on the IRIG and the IRIG is connected to the iPad with Garage Band OR Sampletank launched, neither recognizing the TG. I've also tried the keyboard MIDI out into THRU on the TG 55 and then MIDI out from TG into the IRIG, that doesn't work either. However the CLP760 keyboard directly into the IRIG and then iPad works fine.

Reaction score
I don't know how to enable the Thru port (Gary) nor setup the matching midi channels...sorry, I'm challenged with this!

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
Sorry to jump into this so late, but what exactly are you trying to do with the TG? That is, what role is the TG meant to fill in your setup? Because I'm thinking you might be trying to connect it to the wrong things.

Since the TG is a sound module, you're obviously trying to use it to generate sound, right? But you also mentioned GarageBand and Sampletank, so I'm guessing the TG isn't the only sound module you're trying to use-- that you're also hoping to use sounds generated by Sampletank, and possibly by GarageBand's virtual instruments as well.

What I'm thinking is that you might want to connect the keyboard's MIDI OUT to the iRig's MIDI IN, then send the keyboard's MIDI data to whatever your main MIDI routing software is-- GarageBand? (Can GarageBand function as a MIDI router these days? I don't think earlier versions could.) Then your MIDI routing software can send the MIDI from the keyboard to whichever sound module you want it to go to. You'd want to connect the iRig's MIDI OUT to the TG's MIDI IN so the MIDI routing software can send the MIDI to the TG if (that is, when) you want to use the TG as the sound source, otherwise the MIDI routing software could send the MIDI to Sampletank or one of the virtual instruments in GarageBand.

If you're planning to record the sounds using GarageBand, you'll also need to have audio connections from the TG and any other external sound modules (such as the keyboard itself, if you want to use any of its sounds) to the iRig or other audio interface so it can go to your iPad or computer.

Reaction score
Thanks for weighing in SGG!

OK, I'm not overly concerned with generating virtual sounds from Sampletank (this app was suggested by the vendor to verify that the keyboard was recognized by the IRIG, which it is), nor even from Garage Band, as I like to play everything myself (guitars, bass, keyboards, vocals, etc). HOWEVER YES, I WOULD like to utilize the many "voices" resident in the TG55 (to generate sounds from that as you suspected).

So while these may be considered "virtual sounds" I've been playing a standard 88 keyboard for many years, whether a grand piano, upright, etc so I'm very comfortable with the Yamaha CLP760 keyboard, utilizing the voices inherent in the TG55. When I plug the keyboard into the TG (along with audio out cables from the TG into the keyboard, which has excellent stereo speaker sound) it sounds great!

I'm going to try and connect the keyboard's MIDI OUT to the IRIG MIDI IN (which I've done and Sampletank "hears" that (not sure about GB but will try again) but then the TG is left out in the cold. So your next step is to connect IRIG's MIDI OUT to the TG's MIDI IN, right?

In the end, my MAIN goal is to be able to record songs on keyboards (I can already record guitar, bass, mic, etc) in Garage Band using the TG voices, where I can then these convert to MP3, etc (that part I've got down). I also would like to be able to just play the keyboard and TG55 like I've always done, sometimes WITHOUT recording into the IRIG, but that's secondary to recording at this point.

Still confused re the audio cables also, I'll have to experiment some mare, sorry I'm so inept at this but thank for the nudge!

Reaction score
OK the keyboard MIDI OUT connected to IRIG MIDI IN (GB recognizes and records keyboard only) but then connecting IRIG OUT to TG55 IN hits a brick wall, I'm at an impasse, at least for now.

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
I don't have much familiarity with GarageBand, and none at all with the CLP-760, TG55, and iRig, so while I can look at their manuals I can't try anything myself to see if it works. I was hoping someone with more GarageBand experience than me would be able to chime in. In the meantime I'll see if the manuals contain any useful clues. Is this the model of iRig you're using?

Ask a Question