Yamaha CP 40 Stage

Reaction score
Hi I am new here. I have a Yamaha CP40 and am looking for a tutor to sit with me and go through how to use it and get the most out of it. I am a classical piano teacher…but have just joined an 80s band and need to learn how to best get all the sounds I need etc. I am based in Melbourne. I am not very tech savvy.

The Y_man

Reaction score
Hi I am new here. I have a Yamaha CP40 and am looking for a tutor to sit with me and go through how to use it and get the most out of it. I am a classical piano teacher…but have just joined an 80s band and need to learn how to best get all the sounds I need etc. I am based in Melbourne. I am not very tech savvy.

Best bet is probably to youtube it... can't help you because I've never sat at one....

The Y-man

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Don't be afraid of widening your search parameters to include other, similar, and even dissimilar models from other manufacturers to gain some scope of awareness in digital music production these days.

Google the tech terms which confound you.

Eventually you will be as comfortable with your keyboard as you are with your toaster.

You didn't learn Bach's Brandenburg in a day and you're not going to jump from banging mallets on wire to becoming Brian Eno in a single day either. :)

Happy Halloween :)

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Don't be afraid of widening your search parameters to include other, similar, and even dissimilar models from other manufacturers to gain some scope of awareness in digital music production these days.

Google the tech terms which confound you.

Eventually you will be as comfortable with your keyboard as you are with your toaster.

You didn't learn Bach's Brandenburg in a day and you're not going to jump from banging mallets on wire to becoming Brian Eno in a single day either. :)

Happy Halloween :)

Gary ;)
Thanks heaps Gary. So true…. I will take your advice on board. I read some of the threads and have no idea what people are talking about! Will need to start to educate myself.
Yvonne

The Y_man

Reaction score

What "sounds" are you after in any case?

The Y-man

The Y_man

Reaction score
And a belated welcome from another Melbournian (unless you are in Melb Florida haha) - hope you are enjoying the slightly increased freedom of movement :D
(I am not changing my lockdown habits until these numbers go down a bit though!!)

The Y-man

Reaction score
What "sounds" are you after in any case?

The Y-man
I am needing 80s sounds… but it’s more that I would like someone to show me how to use my keyboard properly… how to add samples and do other tech stuff that keyboardists do! Hope that makes sense?
Yes happy to have some freedoms but along the same lines as you… not going to get too excited about getting out and about till case numbers drop!

The Y_man

Reaction score
I am needing 80s sounds… but it’s more that I would like someone to show me how to use my keyboard properly… how to add samples and do other tech stuff that keyboardists do! Hope that makes sense?
Yes happy to have some freedoms but along the same lines as you… not going to get too excited about getting out and about till case numbers drop!

Looking at the manual for the CP40, I don't think you can sample sounds.....

There's no real choice in many cases other than systematically roll through the sounds (aka "voices") and find the one you like.

The Y-man

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Basically if you are doing 80's stuff it's a lot of organs and EPs run thru FX boxes as well as basic arpeggiators anyway.

Look at the global and insert FX chapters of your manual to learn how to tweak the sounds into what you need..

Start with something that sounds close and then add modulation and FX as needed.

Add a small Moog to the mix and you can cover about 95% of the stuff most 80's bands were doing in those days.

Gary ;)

Ask a Question