Yamaha CP 73 BHS action feel

Reaction score
Hello everyone. New here.

I'm in the market for a new keyboard focused on piano. I've tried a lot and the one that made me the best impression is the Yamaha CP 73. Fantastic action, fantastic panel interface, classic sounds. The best digital keyboard I've played feel wise and one of the best (second to Nord I think) sound wise.
I'm focused around pianos and electric pianos and I use a lot of really good VSTs. For the time being I'm using a good M- Audio Hammer 88. But I want to upgrade. Especially the keybed feel and some extra good sounds wouldn't be bad.

I have to admit that I don't particular like the keys with the GHS action I've tried (quite a lot) since they are quite heavy for me. I prefer the fantastic light feel of CP 73. The thing is that this keyboard is quite expensive for the time being since along with YC 73 are new models and not possible to find them in the used market in Europe yet.

Some experienced musicians said to me that MO8 and S70-S90 xs or es keys have a very similar action and can be found at really good prices. I found some available at reasonable prices but I can't try them since there is none near me. Yes most of their sounds and capabilities seem quite obsolete now, and they can't be compared to the brilliant ones of CP 73, but their midi implementation and connectivity is really good and if they have similarly good keybed a reasonable used price is worth it, even if they will not have any market value soon.

What I would like to ask is if there is any member with first hand experience of these older models with Balanced Hammer Action and how it compares with the newer BHS keys. I need advice only from people who have first hand experience with these two kind of actions please. Presumptions and other suggestions would be of no help to me.

Thanks in advance.

Ask a Question