yamaha cp33 midi

Reaction score
I'm new to the forum and new to MIDI. I have a PSR 2000 and CP33 and want to use the CP33 to control the sounds of the PSR2000. Is this possible....and can I still hear the CP33 sounds as an additional layer? I was hoping to gig with just one direct box for both boards. Someone please help. The instructions in the manual are pretty poor (CP33). Thanks so much.

Reaction score
hehe... this is funny. i used to own the PSR2000, and i have the CP33 right now.

As always with midi you use the MIDI IN and MIDI OUT ports. I never used MIDI on the CP33 but after you connect the cable you should be able to switch between CP33 sounds and the PSR2000 sounds by pressing the "MASTER" button (but you can't layer the CP33 sounds over PSR2000).

To make the CP33 master keyboard plug the cable on the MIDI OUT port on the CP33, and the other side on the MIDI IN port on your PSR2000. It's logical, you send the signal OUT and recieve IN :)

Reaction score
thanks, I'll give that a try. I was hoping to layer all three, but maybe the "master" button was the thing I was missing.

As far as i know, there is no way to layer 2 keyboards together using MIDI. The idea is to use the keys from one keyboard (and the keys only) to play another instrument (or a rack). That way you don't combine both sound engines from your keyboards.

You can connect both keyboards separately to your mixer and use all of the sounds that way.

Reaction score
To add to Sysryn's post, as a clarification,
"Layering" is most typically a keyboard term with regard to the use and allocation of voices from one sound engine (sound source). That is typically not done with midi.

From a different point of perspective, you can layer multiple audio sources with a mixer.

Reaction score
To add to Sysryn's post, as a clarification,
"Layering" is most typically a keyboard term with regard to the use and allocation of voices from one sound engine (sound source). That is typically not done with midi.

From a different point of perspective, you can layer multiple audio sources with a mixer.

That's right. Now when i re-read my post it does seem not so clear. Thnx!

Reaction score
I'm new to this forum and need help with my cp 33. Using midi bass pedals as triggers into the cp midi in. But the only sound I get is the #1 piano. I would like to split the keyboard and let the pedals have the bass sound while the rest of the piano remains. The manual says very little about the cp used as anything other than the trigger. Can anyone help

Ask a Question