Yamaha CP88/73 price drop

Reaction score
I noticed on the Thomann site that both the CP88 and CP73 had a price drop, around 250 euro for the CP73 and 300 euro for the CP88 (which basically puts the CP88 at the price of the CP73).
Don't know if these are Christmas prices (other boards seem to be priced as before) or maybe the sales figures are below expectations ?

Reaction score
I have ichy fingers!

It is fatal going into a music store and tinkering around on different keyboards, now I want to change what I have.

It all stems from playing a Korg B2 and a D1 in my local store (along with some other arrangers), in that I now want a DP.

How about a short review of your Kawaii ES110?

It is in my price range which is up to £600/€700

Reaction score
I know what you mean about those itchy fingers :p

Anyway, I'd love to do a review of the ES110. Only thing is, I haven't ordered it yet. Seems like my 'gigging plans' aren't going to work out the way I thought they were. So I'm holding off. I'll probably call the whole thing off, wasn't all that important anyway.

On the other hand, I have found a buyer for my Kross 2 88 and all the accessories, but with the holidays and all, we'll just sort that out early January.
So, with the gigging no longer being a incentive to buy a portable piano, I have started looking at alternatives. I won't be moving to my appartment for another 4 years so during all that time, I'll still be 'commuting' between my house and the appartment.
As I'm in the process of buying furniture for the appartment, I was thinking that maybe a cabinet piano might not look out of place so I'm looking in that. In any case, I'm not in a hurry, want to be absolutely sure before I order anything again and make sure I love the new piano just as much as I love my MP11SE.

As for your question and imminent 'GAS' syndrome ;) : the B2 has the same keybed as the Kross 2 88, Korg's NH, so if you're looking for a weighted action, why not sell your Kross 2 61 and replace it with a Kross 2 88 (new MB or the original dark blue, new sounds are downloadable anyway and the original dark blue has come down in price if I'm not mistaken). If you're not a pianist and really picky about the touch like I am, the NH keybed will suit you just fine.
If on the other hand, you're looking for a better quality weighted keys, you could do a lot worse than the D1 : the RH3 is a fantastic keybed and is so much better than the NH. You could set it up in a 3-tier configuration with your PA700 and Kross 2 61 (don't know if your Hercules stand supports a third tier but otherwise, the K&M Spider Pro comes highly recommended :) ). As the D1 is so narrow and has no display that has to be readable all the time, you could place your second board, either the PA or Kross, right above it, leaving plenty of room for your third tier. I assume you already have mixer so you could continue to use the PA700's built-in speakers. The only negative about the D1 is that it has no split function, but if you really need it, I guess you could implement that by MIDI'ing it to your PA700 or Kross 2 and use those sounds (the PA700 has some great piano sounds).

Good hunting, and Merry Christmas !

Reaction score
Many thanks for your suggestions.

Yes it is the Kross 2 which I will be looking to move on.

Presently it is above my Pa700 but that places it to high so reading sheet music is uncomfortable and I cannot lower it further since I cannot then see the screen of my Pa700 if I do so. The Kross 2 is also so light I would not want to put it on the lower tier since as well as balance the controls on the Kross would not be accessible so I am inna Catch 22 position.

The Pa1000 that I played the other week was on a two tier stand with the B2 below it (& it had Bass pedals set up) so was in functional organ mode. The B2 with its minimal controls is well suited to being on a lower tier and was set up to play all the sounds of the 1000 over all its 88 keys and being used more as a MIDI controller impressed me more.

I am not fussy about fully weighted keys and so in the mix is a Numa Compact 2X which I have seen, pushed buttons and rattled the keys but it was not connected to any power so I will return to the music store in the New Year to play it.

Reaction score
I think with the Numa Compact 2X, you'll more or less have the same 'balance' problem as with the Kross 2 61 on a lower tier.
The B2 would indeed be a good choice then, minimal controls on the top so your PA700 wouldn't be in the way. But I'm always mentioning the D1 because I think it's such a cool board with a very good keybed.
To be honest, I might have a look at the G1 Air, which is basically the D1 but in a nice wooden cabinet with a killer sound system. Would suit me just fine ;)
On the other hand, the Yamaha CLP645 has caught my eye. Ouch, my wallet :p

Reaction score
Knowing your feeling about the Kross, BIggles, I'll point out that the Numa Compact 2X is limited in its ability to change sounds without cutting off the previous sound. On a split, you can select a new right hand sound without cutting off your left hand sound (and vice versa), but you can't seamlessly change from one right hand sound to another (though you can on the Numa Compact 2), nor can you seamlessly switch from one saved program to another (on either one of them).

Reaction score
Thanks for the heads up Scott.

The thing about the Numa that appeals is the inbuilt drawbar sliders.

But it all may come to nothing since what I really want is a Korg PA4X with 76 keys.

If I do end up with one then it will be the only keyboard I need.

PS
Well that is at least plan 1.

Ask a Question