Yamaha cvp 107 key issues electronic?

Reaction score
hi I m new here/ Ive worked on quite a few digital pianos but have never run across this issue- every thing seems to work properly, except when you hold down a c or d and play the c or d of the same octave it sounds twice as loud and slightly distorted /also the f s and g"s/this happens on all octaves / when played singly all keys work properly /no other combinations have this problem /ran the test procedures found a ng on the wave rom ck/did a factory reset /cleaned the contact strip and boards /tried two different sets of the contact pc boards -no change in behavior/ never heard of this before /thinking it must be a mother board problem --any advice would be most appreciated thank you

Reaction score
I am sorry for for not being able to clarify the problem--when you press a c and then a d of the same octave while holding the c down it cause the loud note on the d and visa versa /same with the f and g in all octaves --only happens to notes in same octave if I pres a c from one octave and a d from another no problem- no other notes or combination produce this result-so mi latest thought is it is either in the cpu or in the circuits before the cpu on the mother board- I really dont under stand/ thanks for thinking about it

Reaction score
I am sorry for for not being able to clarify the problem--when you press a c and then a d of the same octave while holding the c down it cause the loud note on the d and visa versa /same with the f and g in all octaves --only happens to notes in same octave if I pres a c from one octave and a d from another no problem- no other notes or combination produce this result-so mi latest thought is it is either in the cpu or in the circuits before the cpu on the mother board- I really dont under stand/ thanks for thinking about it
I now understand your explanation of the issue, thanks.

That is not a behavior I have seen in a keyboard before. I have seen where tuning issues because people have inadvertantly changed from equal temperament tuning to some different western tuning. Many users have reported issues with 'touch sensitivity' where a note always plays at maximum velocity or not at all. This is typically attributed to the rubber pads under the keys being dirty and causing velocity issues. Even so I've never heard of the specific issue that you are describing. Try a thorough cleaning of the key contacts first and then report back.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
That's why I requested video.

Maybe we can get a better idea if we see and hear what's actually going on.

Cleaning key contacts is no small job and requires complete disassembly of the keyboard.

I would contact Yamaha support before taking a screwdriver to the beast.

If it's still under warranty I would definitely make it Yamaha's problem.

If it's out of warranty, then let's see if it's a known issue or not.

Gary ;)

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
BTW...

Is the firmware up to date?

Check if there have been any bug fix releases.

It could very easily be a firmware bug.

Gary ;)

Reaction score

That is not a behavior I have seen in a keyboard before. I have seen where tuning issues because people have inadvertantly changed from equal temperament tuning to some different western tuning. Many users have reported issues with 'touch sensitivity' where a note always plays at maximum velocity or not at all. This is typically attributed to the rubber pads under the keys being dirty and causing velocity issues. Even so I've never heard of the specific issue that you are describing. Try a thorough cleaning of the key contacts first and then report back.
BTW...

Is the firmware up to date?

Check if there have been any bug fix releases.

It could very easily be a firmware bug.

Gary ;)
thanks for thinking about it

Reaction score

I did a thorough cleaning of the continuous contact strip and the board contacts also changed the contact boards for a spare no change in behavior / going to check the relevant capacitors with esr meter / some one from another forum suggested I look at the matrix scanning encoder Ic chip 7mz-702-d /thanks for thinking about it

Reaction score
problem solved- and its beyond my understanding why-i tested capacitors and the scanner chip found no problems / finally I switched the nice cleaned continuous green contact strip for an old korg one I had laying around -now it works perfectly and I dont know why / any way thanks for your help good luck

Ask a Question