Yamaha DGX-220 Midi Question

Reaction score
Hey guys!

I know this might be dumb, but I'm trying to use a Yamaha DGX-220 as a midi controller with a computer. Is this even possible with the usb out? I'm dying to upgrade my rig, but money is tight. Any suggestions?

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
It should be possible with the right software. If you use a DAW program with VST soft synth plugins and mute the keyboard's output you should be able to use it as a controller. Personally I use a Korg TR76 as a controller for two other synths with an old version of Cakewalk that's too old for soft synths, however I have used it to control soft synths in Rosegarden successfully using only USB connections.

It would take some experimenting but I'm sure you could get it to work with any modern DAW software.

Reaction score
Yes, the Yamaha DGX-220 can be used to control midi in DAW software.
Check out the section on "MIDI" in the users manual. You'll need to install the MIDI driver on your computer for it to function . See the Precautions on page 79 about connections and powering on and off. If you don't have a manual, just Google it and you'll find the PDF version. Don

Ask a Question