Yamaha DGX-500 digital piano: OK to superglue key guide to to circuit board?

Reaction score
This is an ongoing problem which I've posted about before. I've finally figured out the cause, but I haven't succeeded in fixing yet.

The problem is that I sometimes get extra notes. The cause is that one of the "key guides" (the black plastic strips that screw into the circuit boards under the keys) keeps coming loose. Specifically, it's held to the circuit board by 3 screws and a tiny plastic pin that fits into a hole in the board. The screws hold OK, but the pin keeps popping out, whereupon I get extra notes with a particular note combination. Opening up the keyboard and popping the pin back in fixes the problem, but just for a short while.

I tried replacing the key guide as well as an adjoining one with new ones from Yamaha, but it doesn't prevent it from happening.

It looks like an obvious fix would be to set the key guide in place with a dab of superglue, but I'm scared that this might cause other problems.

My initial fix, before I noticed this, was to replace a rubber contact, which didn't help. The only other idea I have is to replace the contact board, but those run almost $70 dollars from Yamaha, and it looks a bit tricky to deal with anyway.

Any thoughts?

Last edited:

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Your warranty is already voided. You may as well try it. I'd recommend a good quality two part epoxy instead of cyano-acrylate though.

Superglue tends to break down with age. Epoxy is forever. Worst case scenario if it doesn't work you break down and buy a new PCB board.

May as well try the cheaper fix first.

Gary

Ask a Question