Yamaha DGX-505 Keys Out Of Tune. Anyone Know A Good Fix?

Reaction score
Hello!

I’ve had my piano for about a few months now, I bought it off of craigslist for $100 and it worked perfectly. But, recently I noticed if I play certain notes together like c & f or c & g one of the notes will play a half step lower/higher and produce a high shrill sound. The person who owned the piano was a musician and he took very good care of it and I haven’t done anything to damage it either.

Could I have accidentally pressed a button to cause this? Or should I just get it repaired? Is this something I could repair on my own? Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Also, all the keys work and when played alone they sound totally fine it’s only when I play certain notes together like I mentioned above.

- Jenn

Rayblewit

Love Music / Love Life
Reaction score
Hi jenn,
Welcome.
I cannot advise you how to repair it. Others here with electronic brains have the knowhow. They may offer you advice.
But if you paid just $100, ask yourself is it worth paying a qualified techo for repair? Most likely he will charge you more than you paid for it.
Also it might help the techo gurus here if you told us what brand and model you have.
Ray

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
First of all consult your manual or google how to do a factory reset to eliminate any settings you may have inadvertently messed up.

If that doesn't work then my next question is whether or not it has a pitch bend wheel and a mod wheel.

Quite often the Pitch Bend goes out of whack on a keyboard causing it to go out of tune. If so, a quick fix is to disable the pitch wheel. Again consult your manual for how to do this.

If it is the pitch wheel, it may have to be replaced and/or recalibrated for a permanent fix. Procedures vary with make and model. Check google and youtube for DIY solutions.

If all else fails, THEN consider a professional repair.

Gary ;)

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
Welcome, Jenn!

Also it might help the techo gurus here if you told us what brand and model you have.

I think that’s in the thread’s title— Yamaha DGX-505, which does indeed have a Pitch Bend wheel.

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
"if it were a snake, it would have bit you on the nose!"

I've been bitten by that snake before, so no worries! :)

Ask a Question