Yamaha DGX-640 SUSTAIN PEDAL Issue

Reaction score
Hiya... I have owned the YPG-625 and 635 and know what to expect with sustain. I have gone thru the DGX functions and can not figure out how to increase the sustain when the pedal is depressed. The pedal is fine. I tried 3 different ones on the DGX and the YPG. I can increase the sustain for when the pedal is NOT depressed but the pedal sustain is lame, way too short. Any help is much appreciated. Thanks. Larry ♫

Reaction score
The only thing I could suggest is hooking one of these up to your rig to improve the sustain.

http://www.amazon.com/Behringer-CS400-Compressor-Sustainer-Ultimate/dp/B002X8Y4SQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1410290255&sr=8-1&keywords=compressor sustain pedal

I presume we're talking about the piano voices here since organ style voices should sustain indefinitely already.

Gary
The only thing I could suggest is hooking one of these up to your rig to improve the sustain.

http://www.amazon.com/Behringer-CS400-Compressor-Sustainer-Ultimate/dp/B002X8Y4SQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1410290255&sr=8-1&keywords=compressor sustain pedal

I presume we're talking about the piano voices here since organ style voices should sustain indefinitely already.

Gary

thats correct its the PIANO sustain I'm concerned with. there has to be a setting to adjust or something limiting the duration/length. Its a new in box unit and

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
The DGX's are low end Yamaha units and you are limited by the quality of the samples they used to create the pianos. There's probably no way to adjust the sustain duration of the pianos without actually rewriting the original firmware samples in memory. THAT ain't gonna happen.

Using a third party guitar effects sustain compressor is the only way you're going to be able to prolong a piano note past its natural lifespan but it won't sound like anything Beethoven or Mozart ever composed on.

Face it. For $600, manufacturers make compromises in their keyboard designs and you either live with it or else shell out $6000 for a Korg Kronos X. :)

Gary ;)

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
One other option is to use your DGX as a controller and buy a $400 soft synth piano and run it on a high end computer.

Reaction score
Hiya... I have owned the YPG-625 and 635 and know what to expect with sustain. I have gone thru the DGX functions and can not figure out how to increase the sustain when the pedal is depressed. The pedal is fine. I tried 3 different ones on the DGX and the YPG. I can increase the sustain for when the pedal is NOT depressed but the pedal sustain is lame, way too short. Any help is much appreciated. Thanks. Larry ♫

+++There is NOTHING wrong with the instruments design whatsoever, only on MINE. I specifically want THIS DIGITALpiano and dont need nor want a 'synth style' keyboard. If I did I'd buy a SECOND keyboard for that perhaps even a workstation.

Again I thank all for your help. I am VERY familiar w/the YPG's AND the DGX (which I played for three days earlier in the year. There is clearly something wrong w/the sustain on MY DGX. I made a 25 mile detour tonite to a shop with the DXG on display and the sustain was normal as I expected. I went thru all the function settings I could find for over an hour and noted them... I changed possible settings and NOTHING adjusted the pedal sustain either up or down. It could be a faulty piano I have but I cant believe that. There HAS to be an adjustment for PEDAL sustain. KEYBOARD sustain (without pedal) is easily adjusted and lasts forever if you up it.

Last edited:

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
Which foot controller or pedal controller are you using with it? FC-3? FC-4? FC-5? Something else?

If you suspect that it might be a problem with the keyboard itself, I'd take it back to the dealer to see what they say, as it should be under warranty.

Reaction score
Assuming the pedal is working properly (and the polarity is switched correctly), I agree with Michael - it's back to the shop/manufacturer to get it fixed, if you reckon it doesn't sound the same as the one you tried out.

Looking through the manual this is a pretty basic piano and there doesn't seem to be any way to alter pedal sustain. It seems it can only be the pedal, polarity switch, or the 'board it self.

Reaction score
Hi Larry. I'm not very familiar with the DGX, but have you called Yamaha tech support? If there is a sustain adjustment on your board, they can surely guide you through it.

Ask a Question