Yamaha DGX 640

Reaction score
I just bought a DGX 640 on black friday and am trying to get it to connect to my computer.
I have a AB usb cable (as specified in the manual) and am following the directions in the manual / cd rom exactly as they are laid out.

My problem is that whenever I plug the keyboard into any of my 3 computers none of them do the "new hardware found!" dialogue that you expect when hooking up new hardware via USB. (this is a required step for the driver installation)

Is there a setting on the keyboard I need to change/enable?

The cable is the same one I use for my laser printer and Works great for the printer.

Any help here would be REALLY appreciated.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
I'm not sure about Yamaha's drivers, but usually you install the driver FIRST, and THEN plug in the USB cable when the installation routine tells you to do so.

Is this the procedure you are following?

What shows up in Device Manager when the USB is plugged in? Is there a Yamaha entry under multimedia devices? Is it yellow checkmarked?

Reaction score
I'm not sure about Yamaha's drivers, but usually you install the driver FIRST, and THEN plug in the USB cable when the installation routine tells you to do so.

Is this the procedure you are following?

What shows up in Device Manager when the USB is plugged in? Is there a Yamaha entry under multimedia devices? Is it yellow checkmarked?

Well.. the cd-rom tells you to hook up the USB with the device powered off. Then once you get to a certain point, to turn on the piano and it should do the typical windows "new hardware found!" along with the "bee-doo" sound that you get when plugging in new usb hardware. I don't get a sound or a message.

I have tried it both ways. But the driver won't install beyond a certain point unless it detects that you have a piano connected.

This is directly from the manual:

1 Disconnect all USB devices from the
computer except for the mouse and
computer keyboard.
2 Start the computer and use the “Administrator”
account to log on to Windows.
Close all applications and windows that are open.
3 Insert the Accessory CD-ROM into your
computer’s CD-ROM drive.
4 Turn off the power of the instrument.
5 Connect the USB connector of the computer
to the USB TO HOST terminal of
the MIDI instrument with a standard
USB cable.
6 Turn on the power of the instrument(s).
7 When the “Found New Hardware Wizard”
window appears, click [Cancel].

I cant get past step 7 because it never pops up.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
What version of Windows are you running and what versions does the driver disk support? 64 bit and 32 bit also make a difference.

If it's a USB Class Compliant device anything newer than Win Vista and up should detect the MIDI interface directly out of the box. That means you don't even have to install any drivers.

Go to Control Panel and select device manager, open up the multimedia devices section and check for an entry for the Yamaha Keyboard if it exists and is not yellow flagged. Then right click the device and select properties and check the driver status.

Like I said, the driver may already be installed in vanilla windows.

Reaction score
What version of Windows are you running and what versions does the driver disk support? 64 bit and 32 bit also make a difference.

If it's a USB Class Compliant device anything newer than Win Vista and up should detect the MIDI interface directly out of the box. That means you don't even have to install any drivers.

Go to Control Panel and select device manager, open up the multimedia devices section and check for an entry for the Yamaha Keyboard if it exists and is not yellow flagged. Then right click the device and select properties and check the driver status.

Like I said, the driver may already be installed in vanilla windows.

I'm running Windows 7 64 Bit. I'm using the 64 bit install version of the driver software.

Device manager shows nothing new on Multimedia Devices. (or nothing new anywhere)
Even if I hit the manually scan for hardware changes button, nothing shows up.
This makes me think that it is Piano side rather than computer side.

Any other ideas?

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Only two thoughts come to mind.

1) Try installing the latest version of the driver directly downloaded from Yamaha's site. There may be an update out that works with a recently patched version of windows.

2) If all else fails, contact Yamaha tech support with your problem via email and hopefully they will find a solution for you.

Sorry man...

Gary

Reaction score
I actually got the latest download information directly from yamaha support via email yesterday before I replied to this thread. No luck still.
I'm going to continue talking to yamaha support and cross my fingers that I don't have a dead USB port. I *really* would rather not have to mess with returning this unit for another one (I only bought it a week ago)

I'll keep you updated on how things progress.

Reaction score
Only two thoughts come to mind.

1) Try installing the latest version of the driver directly downloaded from Yamaha's site. There may be an update out that works with a recently patched version of windows.

2) If all else fails, contact Yamaha tech support with your problem via email and hopefully they will find a solution for you.

Sorry man...

Gary

So after many e-mails back and forth with yamaha (including one with the technical advice of "jiggle the cable" haha) it turns out that the USB was dead.
I returned my keyboard to the store and returned it for another of the same model. Unpacked it and hooked it up to my computer and the "found new hardware" wizard immediately popped up.

Thanks for the help! Looks like i'm set to go now!

Reaction score
is it possible to install video out in a yamaha dgx 640. I know that dgx 640 doesn't have video out
I have problems do read the small pannell and would like to plug a small tv
thanks from Brazil

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
There are almost NO MIDI synthesizers or controllers with Video Out ports.

What you might be able to do though is plug an iPad into the USB port and with the right software have at least partial control of the keyboard.

I'm not certain whether or not there is an iPad App that can control the DGX 640 but I'm sure if you google a bit you'll find your answer.

Gary

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Another thing you could do to help yourself, short of getting a better pair of glasses is to add a fresnel magnifier to the display so that the text appears much larger.

I picked up a few of these from Amazon for dirt cheap and plan to build a frame around them so I could use them with my own keyboards someday when I need a project.

magnifier-20140828T003000-7.jpg

Gary

PS... It's a hell of a lot cheaper than buying an iPad and an app :D

Ask a Question