Yamaha DGX 660 as a MIDI controller

Reaction score
First post, hi everyone. Couple simple questions (I think):

1)
I'm trying to get our DGX 660 that doesn't have MIDI ports to act as a MIDI controller and use VST's from the DAW and recording it in the DAW on the computer.

I have the USB printer cable, and was planning on using Fruity Loops Studio.

My question is, for zero latency, do I also need an audio interface to connect to the computer/keyboard, such as this:

or this:

2)
I also have an older Yamaha TG-77 tone generator. How would I hook that up to a computer these days in order to feed back into the DGX 660 to use as the midi controller? the back looks like this: https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0024/2352/1341/products/2.-Yamaha-TG77-Rear_720x.jpg?v=1583276820

Assuming I might need the audio interface with real midi inputs like the M-Audio above? Or would a dual midi to usb cable, too, work?

Just wondering what an optimal / minimal set up would be for this with no lag. Thanks!

Reaction score
This is the most complete dealing with the MIDI controller issues of the DGX-660

I'm grappling with this myself, because Yamaha's interface seems to have some real limitations.

Ask a Question