Yamaha DX7s And Things

Reaction score
Hi,

I wanted to buy a keyboard.

I always liked the old DX7, but I was wondering can any one tell me in today's "modern" times, are there any keyboards that are as good as or better than the DX7, or even sound the same?

I cannot afford a great deal on the keyboard so I was wondering if any of the ARGOS shop range or similar places have equally good keyboards?

I know a lot has changed in the electronics of these synths, so I figured todays cheaper brands may sound as good as the retro brands of the 80s?

Thanks for your help.

Belinda x

Reaction score
I always liked the old DX7, but I was wondering can any one tell me in today's "modern" times, are there any keyboards that are as good as or better than the DX7, or even sound the same?
Good or better with what regard? Most keyboards sound good or better than a synth that is nearly 30 years old. Many keyboards sound as good or better for piano, EP, organ, analog synth, etc.. The DX7 employed FM for which the DX7 still competes quite well with. You need to define what you mean by an equally good keyboard, i.e. what aspects? Also, what's your budget? If it is $200, perhaps not. What is ARGOS? Is it equivalent to a Walmart/Kmart or Toys R Us?

Reaction score
Argos ... yeah, I forgot this is an international site LOL :)

argos.co.uk

They are a chain store across the UK which sell just about anything. They have quite a few keyboards.

I wouldn't want to spend much more that STR200. I know there are some cheap DX7s going second hand, but for that money may be second hand = well worn, and I'd be better buying new?

Thanks for your input.

The Y_man

Reaction score
A DX7 will be well and truly well matured. The main issue with old keyboards is that various circuitry components and chips start going.

Argos has an MM6 which might interest you.... but may be a budgetary shock

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/126309.htm

The other thing to keep in mind is that there are some interesting "virtual" FM synths (a simulation of the DX-7 done on computer).
You can "play" it by connecting any MIDI controller or MIDI interfaced keyboard.

The Y-man

Reaction score
A DX7 will be well and truly well matured. The main issue with old keyboards is that various circuitry components and chips start going.

Argos has an MM6 which might interest you.... but may be a budgetary shock

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/126309.htm

The other thing to keep in mind is that there are some interesting "virtual" FM synths (a simulation of the DX-7 done on computer).
You can "play" it by connecting any MIDI controller or MIDI interfaced keyboard.

The Y-man

Thanks for the info.

Yeah, it's a bit out of my budget :(

Is the DX software expensive, and the Midi keyboards - can they be used stand alobne? I saw a few on Amazon for around STR150.

I'd like something that sounds professional, and not tacky, with nice string and authentic sounding Piano, like the stuff you heard in the early 80s madonna stuff - though most of that was produced from US1000+ synths.

All the best.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Belinda >>> take a look at the Korg X50, The Roland Juno DI and the Yamaha MM6.

These are among the most inexpensive of the "pro quality" workstations out there and I promise they won't sound "tacky." Your best bet is to visit an actual music store and try these guys out for yourself and you'll have a better idea of what you're getting should you decide to order one from Amazon or some other reseller.

And I guarantee you, these keyboards are all generations beyond the ancient DX7 though some of the vintage patches from the old DX line may well be included in their soundsets.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Not sure what 'STR' equates to. If you're in the UK and it happens to be British Pounds, then...

I got my MM6 for a little over $300USD 'new in an open box' on eBay. Definitely doesn't 'sound cheap'. If you're okay with 61 non-weighted keys, you should be able to find an MM6 (or Korg X50, or....) within your limited budget.

;)

Reaction score
Thanks for all the info. I will have a look around and see what those keyboards sound like. At least I have a better idea what to look out for now.
All the best and keep up the brilliant work with the forum :)

Ask a Question