Yamaha e363 - stop acmp/chords during a recording?

Reaction score
hi there,

i'm using a e363 to record some tracks - style+acmp for beats and chords.

however in the middle of my song i'd like to silence the chords for a few beats, while the recording continues, and then resume the chords

please advise if that s possible,
thank you

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
I believe it's possible, although it isn't well-documented in the manuals. There's a "no chord" or "N.C." chord type that's recognized by most Yamaha arrangers, triggered by pressing three consecutive keys at the same time, or what the manuals refer to as "1-b2-2" (that is, the root, flatted second, and second).

The only wrinkle is that if you press three keys which are physically consecutive on the keyboard-- as opposed to being musically consecutive in terms of the twelve pitches of the chromatic scale-- the PSR-E models will usually interpret it as an attempt to trigger a minor seventh chord using the "easy-fingering" chord method.

Consequently, you typically need to shift one or two of the notes by an octave so the keyboard will still recognize that you're pressing the root, flatted second, and second notes of the chromatic scale but are trying to trigger the N.C. chord type rather than the minor seventh.

In terms of stretching your fingers, I find that the least awkward way to do this is to use your left pinky finger to press the C# key, and simultaneously use your left thumb to press the B and C keys which are an octave above.

You can also try pressing three physically-consecutive keys, as long as they don't fit the "easy-fingering" method of triggering a minor seventh-- that is, try pressing white-white-black, meaning B-C-C# or E-F-F#.

Rayblewit

Love Music / Love Life
Reaction score
press the C# key, and simultaneously use your left thumb to press the B and C keys which are an octave above.
This the method I use.
The chords stop but the beats continue and you can play melody with right hand simultaneously.
Learn C#1 B1, C2
As "gruff" says the thumb plays the B and C.
It is easy and will come natural like all other chords.
Cheers Ray
Btw . . Welcome to the forums @justbflat

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
use your left pinky finger* to press the C# key, and simultaneously use your left thumb to press the B and C keys which are an octave above.

* I was going to add "or left ring finger," because depending on how long your fingers are and how agile your pinky finger is, it may actually be easier for you to use your left ring finger to play the C#1 key.

Reaction score
Many thanks. As recommended, C# B1 C2 works as a no chord pause.

on another note, I love this keyboard, but getting used to the key steps to record songs with the right settings is really cumbersome.

Anyway thank you, appreciate!

Ask a Question