Yamaha-laptop connection. Just curious...

Reaction score
Hi. I have a question about something. Recently i've been connecting my Yamaha DGX 520 to my laptop in order to record my music. Since, there's no line in connection on my laptop, I use the microphone socket instead. So, here's my question: would that connection damage either my DGX or my laptop since it's done under the unusual way (through mic socket, and not a line in of the laptop )? Or simply there wouldn't be any problem at all?

thanks before...

Reaction score
It shouldn't damage either if you get the levels right. My advice is to to turn the keyboard's volume right down and then gradually turn it up while watching the level meter on your laptop. The loudest notes you play should not cause the meter to reach the end of the scale - you amy find that you have to turn the mic level down.

The only disadvantage to doing this is that you can only record in mono, so any panned effects will be lost.

Reaction score
Exactly what mourndark said. You can't damage anything and you can record only mono. I recommend you lift your input level (on the PC) up to 75%, and then slowly boost your volume on the keyboard.

Reaction score
okay, thanks guys. Yes, I did the same procedure in adjusting the volume (both my keyboard and my laptop). I didn't know that I would be only recording mono (I haven't got into the audio processing just yet. I'm still doing the tracking).

Ask a Question