Yamaha MIDI driver not installing correctly on Mac OS Big Sur

Reaction score
I've been trying to install the MIDI driver for a Yamaha keyboard from https://usa.yamaha.com/support/updates/usb_midi_driver_for_mac.html but unfortunately I'm coming across this error.

Haven't been able to find anything else online or anyone who has had a similar issue and I'm thinking it's something with Mac OS Big Sur. Anyone know how to continue diagnosing this problem?

Screen Shot 2020-12-23 at 4.38.58 PM.png

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
I'm not up to snuff on macOS versions, but Wikipedia is telling me that Big Sur is macOS 11, whereas that driver from Yamaha is for macOS 10.15, which Wikipedia says was Catalina. So I don't think you're going to be able to get that driver to work on Big Sur, although I might be mistaken.

Which model of Yamaha keyboard are you trying to use with your Mac? If it's a fairly recent model-- meaning it was released within the last 10 years or so-- I think it should be MIDI class compliant, so it shouldn't even need a driver for it to work on a Mac. But again, I might be mistaken.

Reaction score
Ah, I probably should have realized that 10.15 is very much different from 11. Just found this Reddit thread where people are having the same issues specifically with the OS versions with no luck solving it yet (apart from buying a USB to MIDI cable).

I have a YPG-635 and a USB B to USB C cable right now.

Reaction score
Connecting the Yc61 as a master or slave with the casio px5s via midi causes the Yc61s sounds to freeze up and continually hold notes.
Has anyone else had this problem and solved it?

Ask a Question