Yamaha MIDI Issue!

Reaction score
Hello!

I recently aquired a Yamaha QX21 Digital Sequence Recorder to go along with my Yamaha PSR-170 Keyboard.

Yes, I know that the QX Series is very old, but I like it, and for the time being, I am sticking with it.

I am not too familiar with MIDI but I know the basics.

I am trying to get my QX21 to record different voices from my keyboard, but when I record a voice (like thick lead, or steel drum) It plays it back with the same notes I played, but as grand piano, and not as the voice I was playing.

I know that the QX21 doesn't actually record audio, only midi data... but is there a way to make it retain the voice data so that when it feeds back into the keyboard, the keyboard will play the voice I recorded as?

Here is a simple illustration about how my gear is setup.

If anyone could help me solve this problem, or tell me if it just isn't possible without more equipment, etc. please let me know.

Thanks in advance,

Chris

Reaction score
I dont know anything about the qx21....however, when using a sequencer, you need to assign different midi channels to each sound you use when making the sequence...the midi send and recieve must be set up correctly, so the commands are sent to the right sound on the right midi channel...in other words, however many midi tracs your sequencer has, each trac requires its on midi channel....

Reaction score
MIDI-ot!

you need to assign different midi channels to each sound you use when making the sequence...the midi send and recieve must be set up correctly, so the commands are sent to the right sound on the right midi channel...in other words, however many midi tracs your sequencer has, each trac requires its on midi channel....

I finally figured how to send MIDI signals from my Yamaha MM6 to my PC, via a USB cable. So, I managed to record a MIDI track composed of a couple of piano notes. I am using Cubase LE.

I did find a command for a drum module so the piano notes sounded like drums. NOW I need to figure out what to do NEXT!! I don't know how to "assign" channels or apply effects (do VST effects work on MIDI?) In other words, I'm a Midi-ot!:confused:

Reaction score
bottom line..........the psr 179 is a heap of shit........ you need to get a better midi enabled keyboard like some of the roland workstations.....or maybe a modual

Ask a Question