Yamaha Midi Problem, Unresponsive

Reaction score
I am a noob when it comes to keyboards and midi, and I was wondering if anyone could help.

I have a Yamaha PSR-E313 which I am trying to connect to a laptop running vista via a Ashton MDUSB cable. I am trying to get it to work with FL Studio 10. The laptop recognises the keyboard but it is very unresponsive. Only the occasional note registers and the ones that do stay down, as if they are being pressed when they are actually not.

I downloaded Midi-ox and the signals that it receives are seemingly random. For most notes that register, there is no note off. For some notes I press, there is only a note off, and no note on. I tried it with my mac and garageband as well and experienced the same problem.

Reaction score
You don't need drivers as far as I know. If you use the USB-B connector on the keyboard and a simple printer usb-cable, the computer should recognize the keyboard plug and play. You might have to set in the various programs something like 'USB-audio-device'.
Computer on first than the keyboard. You should see 'found new hardware' and it installs what is needed.
Not sure about Vista though, I am still using XP what is by far more musical-gear friendly.

Reaction score
I tried it with XP and after fiddling around with the settings the problems stopped. It is now functioning as expected.

Thanks!

Ask a Question