Yamaha MIDI to USB driver installment issue

Reaction score
Hi dear folks,

I was reading a lot of this forum lately and I came across that many people have almost the same issue as I do. I own a Yamaha P-35 ( Digital piano ). For some reason I can't install the Yamaha's MIDI to USB driver because each time when I start the install ( um3141x86 is the name of folder where installer is the guide is ), I get the same message as many people did. Error 25001, no device connected etc.... I am so desperate, because I was doing all the things that you have explained in the forum posts, and I am still unable to install it. When I connect my MIDI to USB, it shows that it is working properly, but the moment I enter any DAW ( I am using Cubase 8 and FL 20 ) it has a huge delay.... my audio interface is Focusrite Scarlett 2i2. I did install Yamaha's Steinberg audio driver, but it can't solve my issue :(

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
The P-35 Owner's Manual indicates that the P-35 has MIDI IN/OUT ports (page 14).

That means you must use either a USB-MIDI interface cable or a USB audio interface that includes MIDI ports if you want to connect to a computer.

You've said that you're using the Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 audio interface. I don't see any MIDI ports depicted on it or mentioned in its specifications.

How are you connecting the P-35 to the computer?

If you are using a USB-MIDI interface cable and want to use a proprietary USB-MIDI driver with it to try to resolve issues, then the driver should be one that was specifically written for the interface cable. In other words, you can't use the Yamaha USB-MIDI driver if the USB-MIDI interface cable isn't from Yamaha.

Reaction score
Picking up from what SeaGtGtuff said, the fact that your keyboard is a P35 is irrelevant to your problem, since that model has no USB (so it doesn't use a USB driver at all). The thing that needs a driver (if it is not class compliant) is your USB-MIDI Interface. If you are using Yamaha's UX16, then you need that driver. If you are using a non-Yamaha brand interface, installing the Yamaha driver won't do anything for you (except give you the error message you list, letting you know that it can't find an attached Yamaha MIDI interface). You would instead use the driver supplied by the manufacturer of your particular MIDI to USB cable/interface. But even better... any interface you buy these days is almost certainly class compliant, and will work without installing any driver at all.

The manual for the P35 is misleading. It says:

"You can connect the MIDI terminals of this instru-
ment to the USB terminal on the computer via an
optional USB-MIDI interface device (such as the
Yamaha UX16). To do this, you need to install the
USB-MIDI driver to the computer. "

That's true, except that it ONLY applies to the UX16 (or some other similar Yamaha-branded interface, if Yamaha ever made one). It does not apply to interfaces "such as" the UX16 if they are made by anyone other than Yamaha. If the interface is made by some other company, you have to use that company's driver, or as I mentioned, more likely these days, none at all.

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
If indeed you are using a USB-MIDI interface and it's behaving problematically-- something that seems to be common with the cheaper interfaces-- the iConnectivity mio is one that I've been told is very reliable, and it isn't terribly expensive.

Another issue you might be having is that the USB-MIDI interface is actually working fine, but that the real issue is latency between when you're playing the keys and when the sounds from a software synth or other virtual instrument is being heard. The Steinberg driver uses ASIO, which was developed by Steinberg, who make Cubase, so you probably already have that driver installed with your DAW.

Ask a Question