yamaha mo6 usb/midi to daw help ?

Reaction score
hi all, i have sucessfully installed the driver to connect my yamaha mo6 workstation to acoustica mixcraft 8 (the daw that i am using) i can hear the songs that i have created and see them coming in to mixcraft, i understand how to make all midi channels or only one record on to each track but i cant get the tracks that i have created on the keyboard to sound like the instruments that they should be? its always a piano playing? i have set the keyboard to usb output correctly but i dont know how to make the instruments set to my 16 tracks on the keyboard become the same instruments on mixcraft ? can you please help ? ....thanks

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
Yes, I think I can help you with that. I use Mixcraft myself.

Note that if you're playing back a MIDI track in Mixcraft, you're going to get the sound of whichever plug-in or external instrument is assigned to that MIDI track's output-- so if you want the track to play back using the MO's voices, you'll need to select the MO as the output device for the track's MIDI.

On the other hand, if you're using Mixcraft (or any other DAW) to record MIDI tracks which you are then playing back on the MO itself, or playing back in Mixcraft and sending to the MO, but you're getting nothing but piano sounds from the MO, then the problem is that the MIDI messages which select the voices aren't being recorded on the tracks. Some Yamaha models have a "Send Init" or "Send Initial" function that will send the keyboard's voice settings to a DAW so they can be recorded, but I'm not sure about the MO; I'll have to consult its manual to see what options are available.

I need to start fixing dinner right now, and will post some instructions later.

Ask a Question