Yamaha mo8 going out of tune..

Reaction score
For the past 3 1/2 yrs. I've had no problems with this keyboard (which plays beautifully by the way) until recently. The keys are starting to sound out of tune. At first it would happen mildly but now it goes out of tune almost regularly. I play with a church worship team and after a while of rehearsing we will notice the keys sounding flatter than they should be. So we tested it and connected a tuner and sure enough it was the keyboard. I will quickly remedy the situation by changing the sound only to find the sound going out of tune within 5 min or so. I've tried resetting the keyboard to its initial settings to no avail. I will probably be taking it into the shop but was wondering if anyone else out there has encountered this situation? I haven't messed with the tuning in utility since I am constantly changing sounds and it would only sound sharper after changing sounds. Thanks for any help!

-Mandoster

Reaction score
Me tooo!!, never heard of it. An electronic (digital) keyboard can not go out of tune as such. Accoustic piano yes, digital simply impossible. There must be something else intefering. Just guessing, NO mobile phones close to it.(notorious for interference) NO big speakers, airco, ventilator etc etc close to it.
Very strange, keep us informed if the problem has been found please.
Is there a lose contact/knob in the tuning section that by itself by possible resonance of the keyboard works its way up or down?

Reaction score
The problem is back with a vengeance! It was doing ok for a while but now it goes out of tune within one minute of changing sounds. I'm ready to ditch this keyboard as it seems this is a hardware issue. Anyone suggest a remedy before I replace it? Thanks!

-Mandoster

Reaction score
Hello Guys i too am having the same problem with my yamaha mo8 did anyone figure out the real issue

Reaction score
If it's possible try reinstalling the Operating System. If the operating system is corrupted it could cause the tuning to drift. Also, as mentioned above, try to disable both the Mod Wheel and the Pitch Wheel. If none of the three options alleviate the problem you will need to have the keyboard serviced. A transistor could be drifting out of spec and causing the keyboard to go out of tune.

Reaction score
For the past 3 1/2 yrs. I've had no problems with this keyboard (which plays beautifully by the way) until recently. The keys are starting to sound out of tune. At first it would happen mildly but now it goes out of tune almost regularly. I play with a church worship team and after a while of rehearsing we will notice the keys sounding flatter than they should be. So we tested it and connected a tuner and sure enough it was the keyboard. I will quickly remedy the situation by changing the sound only to find the sound going out of tune within 5 min or so. I've tried resetting the keyboard to its initial settings to no avail. I will probably be taking it into the shop but was wondering if anyone else out there has encountered this situation? I haven't messed with the tuning in utility since I am constantly changing sounds and it would only sound sharper after changing sounds. Thanks for any help!

-Mandoster

-Mandoster
I have had my Yamaha PSR3000 for some time now and love it .It is getting sicker and sicker . I thought it was a temperature issue ,when it is cold. I think now,that the problem of it falling a half note or more flat when playing piano ,or any damn sound (PLAYBACK on prerecorded tracks is fine ,thank God)is caused by the PITCH BEND . I play my stuff pretty hard ,and use it as a guitar alot. SLAMMING thepitch bend a note higher to achieve the most dramatic effect. I think this ,in time has stressed the simple wire devise so much that it can't return to zero .Perhaps a kleigel exercise?? I don't have any money for repairs .and don't have the balls to open it and clean out the dust I know must be voluminous .I am pretty sure the problem is as simple as that wire replacing .:( sigh.NEED TO PLAY NOW!

Reaction score
WOW you rock! Thanks I will do asap ,and let you know. love the attitude.
I just referred to the manual, and with just a twirl, set the wheel on zero. I cant bend a note ,but for the love of Pete ,I can play piano in tune!I still need to open this pig up,and dust it out ,I bet there's an ounce of desert grit in there ,judging by the Pounding F key .I will have the help of adults to assist,making sure to single out all the screws, and rubber bits.collect,and note their positions. thanks again.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
When you're ready to open her up have a can of this stuff handy.

http://www.amazon.com/CRC-05101-QD-...id=1397428425&sr=8-1&keywords=contact+cleaner

Spray it into the cracks and openings of the pot then twist it back and forth about 20 times to clean out the gunk and oxidation.

Then let it dry and reassemble and test. If it still fails to calibrate after doing this then you'll have to buy a replacement pot from the link I put up top.

Let us know how it works out for ya,

Gary

Reaction score
The problem is back with a vengeance! It was doing ok for a while but now it goes out of tune within one minute of changing sounds. I'm ready to ditch this keyboard as it seems this is a hardware issue. Anyone suggest a remedy before I replace it? Thanks!

-Mandoster
How did fix this problem? I'm starting to experience the same problems with my MO8.

Reaction score

-Mandoster
sorry If I'm repeating but ...My Yam PSR3000 (fantastic board) has the same issues ..MINE was caused by my heavy playing and BENDING notes like Gilmour with the great guitar sounds .. Your TEST is to go into the menu and DISABLE THE PITCH BEND .its default setting is most likely 2 steps ...you can make it 12 if you want it to sound almost PORTOMENTO when it stretches a note ...INSTEAD put it to ZERO . NOW IT WIll NOT bend a note .. IT should also FIX the issue of falling out of tune in the piano patch. That means that most likely you have bent the crap out of your wheel like I did ...and can be easily and cheaply replaced .USE A TECHNICIAN. let me know if this was the problem fix!

Reaction score
My mox8 is giving the same problems when u switch on u make a g chord u can only press g ,and b when u go and press d the hold chords runs like apegioos and sounds out of tune

Ask a Question