Yamaha MO8 question

Reaction score
Hi. I'm contemplating purchasing a Yamahoa MO8. The church that I play at has one, and I'd love to be able to program voices and performances at home and then copy them to the church keyboard rather than carry the board back and forth. I'm wondering if the MO8 has the ability to do this, either via a sysex dump onto a thumb drive, or by using MIDI software to do so. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks for your time.

Reaction score
Matt

The MO-6 and MO-8 have a "USB to Device" connector for saving keyboard data to a USB flash drive. You should be able to port that data between a MO-8 at home to the one at church on a USB flash drive with no problem. Just remember to allow enough time to load the data from the flash drive into the internal memory of the MO-8 at church prior to your performance. Depending on the amount and type of data that you are transfering, this can take a while, and if you are having to hurry, this can lead to stress and errors that can detract from your performance. I would say to allow yourself at least 30 minutes for any data transfers and checkouts on the MO-8 at church.

Keep in mind that the MO-8's soon to be 11 year old technology may tempt you to go with a newer MO-X8, or the current MO-XF8, model, but if you do that, you can not guarantee compatibility of data between the newer models and the MO-8 at church. There was a major sound engine redesign between the MO-8 (Motif ES sound engine) and the newer models with the Motif-XS and XF sound engines.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thanks for the great info, Ted. It's exactly what I'm looking for.
I'm currently using a Roland JV-1080 module and a Peavey DMP-C8x to control it. Feeling the need to have the latest and greatest technology is definitely not a high priority for me. At this point in my life, convenience is the premium.

Thanks again,
Matt

Ask a Question