Yamaha ModX keybed

Reaction score
Hi, I haven't bought a new synth in quite some time. I am looking at getting a Yamaha ModX (probably a ModX6 or 7).

previously I have owned a SY85 and a M08.

I have been watching some review videos and one of the things that seems to be a common thread is that the keys feel cheap.

Its a few hours drive for me to get to a actual music shop, so getting in to a shop to actually play one is a challenge.

So I wondered how the keybed compares to either an SY 85, or a M08? Is the Montage keybed closer to one of these than the ModX is?

Also, recently I have been using Native Instruments. if I want to use sounds using native instruments, am I going to be able to use the ModX(or Montage) as a keyboard controller to record the music?

Reaction score
I am looking at getting a Yamaha ModX (probably a ModX6 or 7)...So I wondered how the keybed compares to either an SY 85, or a M08? Is the Montage keybed closer to one of these than the ModX is?
I haven't played an SY85, but based on the era it is from, the MODX6/7 will probably feel like a less substantial version of that action, whereas the Montage6/7 will probably feel more similar to it. The MO8 used a hammer action, the MODX6/7 will not feel anything like that, the MODX8 will feel like a lesser version of it, the Montage 8 should feel about the same, based on the actions both being of the "BHE" type.

Also, recently I have been using Native Instruments. if I want to use sounds using native instruments, am I going to be able to use the ModX(or Montage) as a keyboard controller to record the music?
You will be able to use the MODX or Montage as a keyboard controller to play your native instrument sounds. To record them, you'll need a DAW.

Ask a Question