Yamaha MODX-Series

Reaction score
Hello All,

Just wanted to make mention of the new addition to the Montage line(though from what I've read,the MODX was intended to be the replacement for the MOXF line.)
Since no one else here has brought up this topic,I'd have to assume that no members here have gotten wind of this news yet??Rather odd though,since the product announcement occurred Sept.14.)
The news of this launch has gone viral at this point and even retailers such as GuitarCenter and Musiciansfriend,already have it in stock(I briefly demo'd the 88-key version at my local GuitarCenter,as I was selling off my 4 month old PSR-S670,to finance my pre-ordered MODX7 from AmericanMusicalSupply via their 12 Pay Plan.)
Have I gone totally mad,to sell my 4 month old PSR for a MODX7?Well...perhaps...but when you discover what the MODX series is all about,you'll understand.
While the MODX is a scaled down version of the Montage,it is a budget version of a flagship model(unlike any keyboard that ever preceded it)...this is due to the fact that the MODX actually has 100% of all the WAV ROM and power of the FM-X synth engine(including the Montage's 7" color touchscreen!!)

KraMY02.jpg

The main differences from the Montage,is that the MODX has about half of the physical controls,half the polyphony in the FM-X synth,a plastic chassis,slightly different action on the semi-weighted key-beds of the 61/76 models,no PAC circuit,12 parts in the dual insert effects section(rather than 16) and less audio routing options.
Identical to the PSR-series,the MODX is equipped with only an onboard 16 track performance sequencer(however...multi-track song recording is possible via the included Cubase AI.)This means that you can lay down midi data for each track,via the program preset of your choice and during playback of said tracks,your program preset selections will be recorded as audio,back into Cubase.
Although this is an acceptable option(in my opinion)...to create songs,I would prefer(in a future OS update)..that the MODX be imbued with an onboard song sequencer(which is only fair,since the MODX series was designed to replace the MOXF series.)
I never paid the Montage much attention(mainly due to it's inflated price-tag)...but as I researched the MODX more and more and in greater detail,I was thoroughly amazed how inspiring and thrilling the AWM2 sample engine really is,as well as how deep,warm and versatile,the FM-X engine is!!

The MODX is undoubtedly(in my view),the most exciting and value priced synth ever created! :eek:o_O:cool::D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=4&v=xjzwYd0MlvI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1QtgGyZ7mZw&t=63s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVmZf2M9cBM&t=2s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DVdUxCSXSWk&t=451s

Reaction score
"Identical to the PSR-series,the MODX is equipped with only an onboard 16 track performance sequencer"

Are you sure about that? I thought the PSR series and Genos are still normal workstation/arrangers, while the MODX sequencer starts to be really limited because of different "Performances" having, for example, one piano sound that takes up 8 parts.

Reaction score
Your comment ...... identical to the PSR series.

Raises great concern on my part.

The PSR series fall far behind Korg and Roland in the quality of build and materials they also sound vastly inferior.

The Montage is inferior to the Kronos so if the MODX is a cut down version it will only be considered by dyed in the wool Yamahaha users.

Yamaha menu systems are Windows 10 whereas Raland especially is more IOS it just works.

The MODX would be considered by me of milliseconds before being discounted.

Rayblewit

Love Music / Love Life
Reaction score
The MODX is a huge 50% price increase on the PSR S 670
For general purposes it does not warrant the extra cost. It may do a few extra fluffy things but it does not do things for me that the 670 would not do for me.
It is priced out of range for me as well.
Thanks for the links anyway @HighlandStudio91
Ray

Reaction score

The PSR series fall far behind Korg and Roland in the quality of build and materials they also sound vastly inferior.

The Montage is inferior to the Kronos so if the MODX is a cut down version it will only be considered by dyed in the wool Yamahaha users.

Yamaha menu systems are Windows 10 whereas Raland especially is more IOS it just works.

Pretty sure he is just comparing the sequencers, not the entire keyboards. Which as I mentioned above is potentially incorrect also.

As far as menu systems go, the Yamaha Motif and Montage UIs to me are something you program before the gig, and edit if you need to once you get there. I've had my Motif for two years and after around six months, I started to get the hang of it. But I guess I'm somewhat accustomed to the Yamaha menu system having grown up with the Clavinova in my signature. Versus to me the Krome interface is somewhat strange (actually more menu diving for the combi/sequencer modes IMO), and I've never gotten along well with the Roland interfaces like the FA06 etc. My JV-1000 is strange enough. But I will agree, Yamaha keyboards are very deep, and most of their functionality is not in the normal Owners Manual. Some is in the Reference Manual, which IIRC is something like 300/500 pages long. Once learned, the Yamaha is pretty easy to work with for me.

As far as the MODX only being considered by "dyed in the wool Yamaha users", the only other option at that price that might be better would be the Roland FA series. The Krome is getting old. So if you don't need a sequencer and are into electronic sounds, the MODX would be better than the other two. Just my opinion. The Montage and MODX are designed to appeal to a different group than the Kronos. Personally, between Montage/MODX and Kronos, I'd go with the Kronos simply for the sequencer and better MIDI capabilities. So even some so-called "dyed in the wool" Yamaha people like me wouldn't want either of the two models.

Reaction score
"Identical to the PSR-series,the MODX is equipped with only an onboard 16 track performance sequencer"

Are you sure about that? I thought the PSR series and Genos are still normal workstation/arrangers, while the MODX sequencer starts to be really limited because of different "Performances" having, for example, one piano sound that takes up 8 parts.

Well....all I know is that Yamaha seems to have done away with onboard song sequencers altogether,in favor of the integration with Cubase AI.
Performance sequencers among these different models are identical,in that they are all not fully editable(in terms of the absence of any pattern,copy & paste functionality.
Whatever slight differences there may be,are arbitrary..but ultimately,Cubase AI is required for a complete,polished song.

Reaction score

Perhaps I should have worded things differently(meaning that the PSR,Genos,Montage & MODX all are limited to onboard performance recording only.)
From what I've seen though,the integration between the MODX and Cubase AI is excellent and user-friendly.

Reaction score
The MODX is a huge 50% price increase on the PSR S 670
For general purposes it does not warrant the extra cost. It may do a few extra fluffy things but it does not do things for me that the 670 would not do for me.
It is priced out of range for me as well.
Thanks for the links anyway @HighlandStudio91
Ray
Correction; The PSR-S670 is $800,so the MODX6 would have to be $1600(for it to be a 50% increase.)The MODX6 is $1300.
To each his/her own...but for me,the extra $500 is v-e-r-y much warranted,as the MODX offers flagship quality sounds,effects,same number of presets and a beautiful 7" touchscreen and having the ability to create(without having to put my reading glasses on)...makes this the best value-priced keyboard I could ever hope to own in this price range.
I mainly work with PC software and in working with uncompressed samples for 11 years,I no longer want to deal with low grade MP3 samples from entry level keyboards,as they sound ridiculous,when pair up with other tracks in my DAW.
The PSR S670 is great for generating song ideas and for practicing...but to include the PSR's sounds into my DAW songs is such a waste of time(as there is no compensating for poor D/A conversion and compressed samples.)

The MODX is quite literally the only keyboard in it's price range,that offers PC software quality sounds and a real FM synthesis and as far as I am concerned(having owned several hardware keyboards over the years)..the MODX's pricing is an absolute steal.

Reaction score
As far as the MODX only being considered by "dyed in the wool Yamaha users", the only other option at that price that might be better would be the Roland FA series. The Krome is getting old. So if you don't need a sequencer and are into electronic sounds, the MODX would be better than the other two. Just my opinion. The Montage and MODX are designed to appeal to a different group than the Kronos. Personally, between Montage/MODX and Kronos, I'd go with the Kronos simply for the sequencer and better MIDI capabilities. So even some so-called "dyed in the wool" Yamaha people like me wouldn't want either of the two models.

I consider the Kronos an incredible value as well,as it has no equal in the arena among hardware workstations...however though,I don't really need a replacement for my existing DAW's on my PC(which is essentially,what the Kronos is)...and although the Kronos is a tremendous value(in contrast to what the Oasys was)...I just do not have the wallet to lay down $3,000+ for a hardware keyboard.
In fact,the way my budget is currently...my soon-to-be MODX7,is stretching my limits financially as it is.Bottom line for me,is that I've always marveled at the Montage for it's unique qualities and it represented to me,a special offering that is a bit different from that of all of my software...but the Monatge's price point was utterly unthinkable...but now I can have most of what the Montage is,for a drastically lower price tag.

Reaction score
I consider the Kronos an incredible value as well,as it has no equal in the arena among hardware workstations...however though,I don't really need a replacement for my existing DAW's on my PC(which is essentially,what the Kronos is)...and although the Kronos is a tremendous value(in contrast to what the Oasys was)...I just do not have the wallet to lay down $3,000+ for a hardware keyboard.
In fact,the way my budget is currently...my soon-to-be MODX7,is stretching my limits financially as it is.Bottom line for me,is that I've always marveled at the Montage for it's unique qualities and it represented to me,a special offering that is a bit different from that of all of my software...but the Monatge's price point was utterly unthinkable...but now I can have most of what the Montage is,for a drastically lower price tag.

Hi,

Just to let you know, that post was not directed at you. I was referring to the comment made by another member. :)

Rayblewit

Love Music / Love Life
Reaction score
The PSR-S670 is $800,so the MODX6 would have to be $1600(for it to be a 50% increase.)The MODX6 is $1300.
Possibly you are correct. I just did a quick on line comparison.
Anyway some of the features you describe, if only a few hundred bucks more could be worth considering on my part. I am due for an upgrade.
So I will make some enquiries here in Aus. But I am looking at Korg and Roland too.
Cheers ray

Reaction score
I have spent a very long time trying to figure out if i should have a Kronos or a Montage. I had a Kronos for about 4 months and yes its an amazing workstation but for me it did not suit me musically and i think that is what it boils down too. The Montage has far better orchestral sounds in my view and thats what i needed. What is your flavor?..... Vanilla, chocolate, strawberry??... thats really what it boils down too in my (not so experienced) opinion ;)

Reaction score
I have spent a very long time trying to figure out if i should have a Kronos or a Montage. I had a Kronos for about 4 months and yes its an amazing workstation but for me it did not suit me musically and i think that is what it boils down too. The Montage has far better orchestral sounds in my view and thats what i needed. What is your flavor?..... Vanilla, chocolate, strawberry??... thats really what it boils down too in my (not so experienced) opinion ;)

It's hard to imagine the Kronos not being suitable for everyone(at least among those that can afford one.)I mean...it has 9 synth engines and 21GB of content(versus the 3.67GB of the Montage and MODX.)If the factory orchestral sounds did not suit your pallet,then why didn't you buy additional libraries for it?
While I agree that Yamaha generally has better acoustical articulations than Korg...well...I would imagine that with the Kronos's 62GB HD,there must be some better sound libraries available for it?
The Kronos is essentially a PC fitted into a keyboard and clearly,the sounds library choices are massive.That said,it's hard to believe that anyone would make such a large investment and then sell it...just because you are not entirely satisfied with the factory sound??
If you don't mind my asking...why?Just extremely curious,is all.As for myself,I never saved and bought a Kronos...as I did not like the thought of spending thousands of dollars and several hundred more on additional libraries,because when the Kronos burns out and dies,then what?I mean...once the keyboard is finished,all of those sounds are gone forever(whereas with my desktop PC,I can always re-download the content,if I need a new PC.

Reaction score
It's hard to imagine the Kronos not being suitable for everyone(at least among those that can afford one.)I mean...it has 9 synth engines and 21GB of content(versus the 3.67GB of the Montage and MODX.)If the factory orchestral sounds did not suit your pallet,then why didn't you buy additional libraries for it?
While I agree that Yamaha generally has better acoustical articulations than Korg...well...I would imagine that with the Kronos's 62GB HD,there must be some better sound libraries available for it?
The Kronos is essentially a PC fitted into a keyboard and clearly,the sounds library choices are massive.That said,it's hard to believe that anyone would make such a large investment and then sell it...just because you are not entirely satisfied with the factory sound??
If you don't mind my asking...why?Just extremely curious,is all.As for myself,I never saved and bought a Kronos...as I did not like the thought of spending thousands of dollars and several hundred more on additional libraries,because when the Kronos burns out and dies,then what?I mean...once the keyboard is finished,all of those sounds are gone forever(whereas with my desktop PC,I can always re-download the content,if I need a new PC.

Hey,

Let me just start by claiming i am by no means experienced in such keyboards. I started playing a very cheap Yamaha keyboard from the age of about 10 till i was 16 then i discovered the Organ and thats what i played exclusively until recently.

I bought a Kronos a while back with the view of playing a specific type of orchestral music and a few other synth based songs. Also, i wanted an 88 key with a good action and a great sounding piano. Now, the Kronos is an astounding workstation with a wonderful sounding piano but at the time i didnt have the time to delve deep into it to truly respect what it was capable of. I had been playing a organ for 20 years and the change over to a workstation was just so different and honestly i sold it to quickly and later kicked myself for it.

To me, what the keyboard could do "out of the box" was very important as i wanted to start off playing straight away. The Montage "out of the box" suited my type of music tastes and after comparing the strings, brass and guitars i found the quality of the sounds far better. Yes, maybe you can buy better samples with kronos but like i said i wanted the fundamentals of the keyboard to be more to my liking and that is what the Montage has for me. Also i will say i find it easier to operate than the Kronos.

I now have a two keyboard rig (Montage 88 key on bottom and a Yamaha Genos Arranger on top). The guys on this forum have been helping me set it all up and i am thankful that they have not got fed up with my inexperience and question asking :)

Will i never buy a Kronos again... Ive already been thinking about it lol. I think once i have gained more knowledge i might think a little different but i am very VERY happy with my new set up!

Regards

Chris

Reaction score

PS - I also think your analogy that spending thousands of dollars on a keyboard is unjust on the basis that what happens when it dies is kind of silly. I mean you could apply that notion to everything in life lol.

When my keyboards die's in 7, 9, 12 years.... there will be even more impressive technology i would of eye'd up and i will be first in queue with my money... men have to have their toy's ;)

Last edited:

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
If we're talking ultimate keyboards here, these are what people like Marvel Studios buy.

http://musiccomputing.com/

They START around $5K apiece and go up to over $20K once you load up every option.

THEN you start adding your VSTi's at the going rates.

If you're looking to start creating sound tracks for big budget film, then these are what you should be considering. :)

http://musiccomputing.com/kami-xl-keyboard-production-station-windows/

KAMI_hero_background__08608.1461146504.500.750.jpg

Windows and Mac Versions available... ;)

Gary ;)

Last edited:

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
I'd have to sell off every piece of gear I own, quadruple it at the casino, and MAYBE I could afford one :D :D :D

Gary ;)

Ask a Question