Yamaha Modx6 problem

Reaction score
Hello All!,

Just bought a Modx6 and learning the functions of it. For the life of me, I cannot figure out how to save changes to any settings I make. For example: Just simple changes like changing a volume setting on one of the faders in a Performance. One sound I'll set to 60, another sound I'll set 45. I'll exit out of that Performance, come back to it later, and the volume settings change to other numbers other than what I set it to- 60 and 45.

My big question is: how do you set anything, save it/ lock it in, so it stays permanently and doesn't change back to some other number I don't want. It's driving me crazy!!! I would love any help and advice with this. Much appreciated!

Peace and Love - 5150nerd

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
When you are looking thru your menus look for some sort of "Write Protect Setting".

OR

Maybe you can't edit factory presets and have to save your settings as a new "User Performance/Registration/Whatever."

These are the usual options on 99% of the synths on the market.

Do a youtube search for "Yamaha Modx Tutorial" and you'll probably find stuff to get you started.

And don't forget to download the bloody manual and see what it has to tell you about it.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Just bought a Modx6 and learning the functions of it. For the life of me, I cannot figure out how to save changes to any settings I make. For example: Just simple changes like changing a volume setting on one of the faders in a Performance. One sound I'll set to 60, another sound I'll set 45. I'll exit out of that Performance, come back to it later, and the volume settings change to other numbers other than what I set it to- 60 and 45.
When you exit out of a Performance, your changes are not saved unless you first hit the STORE button. (And then, as Gary alluded to, if it was originally a Factory-supplied Performance, you can't over-write it, but the STORE function will let you save your modified version... after that, if you want to hear your modified version, you need to make sure you recall that version and not the original one, which will remain unchanged.)

Reaction score
When you are looking thru your menus look for some sort of "Write Protect Setting".

OR

Maybe you can't edit factory presets and have to save your settings as a new "User Performance/Registration/Whatever."

These are the usual options on 99% of the synths on the market.

Do a youtube search for "Yamaha Modx Tutorial" and you'll probably find stuff to get you started.

And don't forget to download the bloody manual and see what it has to tell you about it.

Gary ;)
Thanks Gary- unless I'm just not seeing it or catching it, I've combed through the Manuel and all the YouTube stuff out there to find answers. I'll keep looking.

Thanks again!

Reaction score
When you exit out of a Performance, your changes are not saved unless you first hit the STORE button. (And then, as Gary alluded to, if it was originally a Factory-supplied Performance, you can't over-write it, but the STORE function will let you save your modified version... after that, if you want to hear your modified version, you need to make sure you recall that version and not the original one, which will remain unchanged.)
Hey anotherscott- Yep, I'll hit STORE after I've made changes to a User sound I've made and settings still go back to different numbers I didn't set. Do you think even factory set Performances won't even let you change the set volume they set it to when using that sound for a user performance? Another issue I'm having is when I'm creating a user Performance, and I have, say, 4 sounds I'll use that I also set each sound to it's own scene.

So, sound 1 is scene 1, sound 2 is scene 2, etc through sound/scene 4. All 4 are different sounds, I set each one to a certain volume level. Everything is set how I want and then I press STORE and give it a custom name. I then think it would be set permanently.

I then press the scene buttons on Modx6, and immediately all the volume levels I set for each sound, 1-4 for that user Performance, go back to some other number amounts that were there before I changed them to the levels that I set. I don't get it.

Unless I just don't understand the info that you guys were talking about- factory settings cannot be changed and this is what's happening? I'm thinking what's the point of creating a user performance if someone is always stuck with the "factory settings".
Thanks again for your info!

Reaction score
Yes, volume settings on Factory Performances can be changed when you save them as User Performances, that's not the issue.

Maybe you're changing the volumes of the Parts using the real-time front panel volume sliders? If you want to change the volume level of a part permanently, you have to make those changes on an Edit screen.

Reaction score
Old thread... if anyone still interested.

Bolstering what AnotherScott said. Also applies to Montage

To make permanent changes to any Performance or Part settings you have to make the changes in the relevant Edit Screen, or use the Quick Edit screen. The Sliders will also directly change (and permanently change if stored) Part settings.

What won't directly change Part and Performance settings are Assign Controls (Knobs, Mod Wheel, AF1, AF2 etc). These are all real time "live performance" controls, that only change what you hear by "offsetting" actual (stored) parameter values.

The Sliders will change the actual parameters in Real Time, and therefore their positions can be stored, unless you have assigned the Sliders "factory control function" to an Assign Control (e.g. Assign Knob 1). Factory Control Functions are Part Volume, Element Volume (AWM2) and Operator Volume (FM-X)... depending on the Home "View" or the Part/Element/Operator button next to the Sliders.

Example of this is the Part Volume Parameter found in the Edit -Part - Common - General screen (top left "Volume"). If you move the relevant Slider (Slider 1 for Part 1 etc) you will actually see this Parameter value change.

If on the other hand you have Assigned "Part Volume" to an Assign Knob, the Slider will no longer function as a Part Volume control, and any changes you make to the Part Volume with the Assign Knob will not be saved (Stored).

Equally, Sliders can not be "Control Assigned" (e.g. Assigned control of Filter Cutoff). They are "internal" controls only... not user assignable.

This confuses a lot of users.

Rule of thumb... Control Assigns are for Live Performance use only... not for Editing Settings.

Last edited:

Ask a Question