Yamaha MODX7 line out volume problems

Reaction score
I use a Yamaha MODX7 and I’m having difficulty with line out volume to FOH mixer and the rig is already at the highest db level ..should I use a preamp out or some kind of boost? any suggestions ?
Thanks

Reaction score
I’m going stereo out with left side going to DI to front board/ foh .. left thu and right going to mackie small mixer that I use for in ears.

Reaction score
So you are only sending the left side of the keyboard to the FOH. In order for the FOH to sound correctly it needs both sides. As suggested by a previous poster send the left and right to a mixer (not a headphone mixer, a regular mixer). Send the outputs of that mixer to the headphone mixer for personal listening. Send the monitor out of the mixer to thd FOH. Radial makes a small mixer that will do the job nicely. https://www.radialeng.com/

Last edited:
Reaction score
I’m going stereo out with left side going to DI to front board/ foh .. left thu and right going to mackie small mixer that I use for in ears.
Although I don't think this has much impact on the gain problem you asked about, Dave is right that you probably don't want to wire it this way. If you're using the Left output alone, that's fine, since it doubles as a Mono Out when nothing is plugged into the right side (mixing left and right), so nothing is lost, But if you send Left to mains and Right to monitors, the two will probably sound different and neither will be "correct", the exception being if you're only using mono sounds to begin with (since they would be the same out of each side anyway). And in fact, most sounds are mono. But some are stereo, and effects can also be stereo even if placed on a mono sound, and also also a Performance could consist of multiple Parts panned to different locations, which also creates stereo even if the sounds themselves are not. So unless you make an effort to assure that you're only using mono sounds and mono effects with everything panned center, it's not a good idea to split L/R outputs between monitor and main.

Getting back to the question you asked about, when you say "the rig is already at the highest db level" -- what have you done so far to assure that? For example each MODX performance has an option to boost its output by up to 12 dB, have you looked at that? (Common-->General-->Volume)

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
What about a single-TRS-to-dual-TRS splitter plugged into the L/L+R jack, so the unbalanced stereo output can be sent to both headphones and FOH without needing a mixer-- not as the best and final solution, but as a cheaper alternative until something better is implemented?

Reaction score
What about a single-TRS-to-dual-TRS splitter plugged into the L/L+R jack, so the unbalanced stereo output can be sent to both headphones and FOH without needing a mixer-- not as the best and final solution, but as a cheaper alternative until something better is implemented?

Split the line out and you split the electrical output and the signal going foh will be less, its basic of one of Kirchhoff’s Laws.

Reaction score
If you're going to a FOH system, you usually use a direct box, 1/4" in to XLR out. Most direct boxes also have a local 1/4" output/thru connector... if you're using one that doesn't have that, get one that does. Then you can use the pre-mixed L/Mono out of your keyboard alone, into the direct box, which will give you the XLR to feed the house and the 1/4" t o feed your monitoring system. Getting back to your need for more output, try an active direct box instead of a passive.

Reaction score
splitter plu
Here is what I have found on my MODX6. The output from the L(Mono, I only use the L as well) works fine if I go direct to my stage box with a 1/4. Bigger risk of line noise that way, but it does work. I have 5 different brands of DI boxes. If I go to a DI box with the L, then to the mixer, with no padding of course, I get nothing. There is one brand of DI box I have, Live wire solutions, the in says parallel HI Z input, and output says balanced lo Z output. If I use that box I get a signal that works with my output around 75% and my gain on my mixer at about 75%.
What I ended up using is a Behringer DI box that takes phantom power. That works great.

I have two behringer SD stage boxes that have HI-Z inputs, they seem to show no change from a regular input

I have talked to Yamaha about it to try and understand why I can't get a regular DI box to work. It has to be some sort of impedance issue. My Roland JUNO keyboard does not have this problem.

Another thing you can do is go to the settings menu and under Audio I/O you can boost the output another 12db.

For me, a 1/4 out the L right to a Behirnger SD stage box that has combo jacks works great, or use a DI box that has phantom power

That is all I have ever been able to do from day 1, and Yamaha has no ther suggestions.

Dave

Reaction score
I use a Yamaha MODX7 and I’m having difficulty with line out volume to FOH mixer and the rig is already at the highest db level ..should I use a preamp out or some kind of boost? any suggestions ?
Thanks
In the Utility/Audio area you can increase or decrease the DB output.

Reaction score
To someone it might. I initially replied because I also have a problem with the left side output on my MODX7, where I have tried contact cleaner with no improvement. I’ll try canned air next. In my case it might be a spider’s web creating a short and air won’t fix it either. When I send the headphone out to the mixer I get both channels working at the levels one would expect. Playing outdoors during the summer months while under lights does draw bugs of all kinds and every port on the keyboard is not filled. Just saying, no matter the quality of an electrical device, there will always be an Achilles' heel.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Probably an internal cold solder joint on a wire.

Remelt them and let them cool.

That should fix it.

Ask a Question