Yamaha MODX8 or Kurzweil PC3??

Reaction score
Hi guys, I am looking for a new keyboard, with excellent performance. I have two options of used keyboards, a Yamaha MODX8 at $ 1875 or a Kurweil PC3 at $ 1200. I need your opinion to decide. Thank you so much! I am new to the forum: v

Reaction score
Welcome.

Can you confirm what $ you are referring to, ie $US etc

New a MODX at Sweetwater is $2000 and the Kursweil PC3 61 is $1400.

Hence if you are in the USA neither looks like a good deal.

Reaction score
The Kurz naming of that series went like this:
PC3 = 76 keys (semi-weighted)
PC3X = 88 keys (hammer action)
PC361 = 61 keys (synth action)

The PC3 came out in 2008. It's still a very capable board, and can do some things that the more modern MODX cannot. It depends on what you need. To sum up some of the biggest differences, PC3 series has aftertouch, a more extensive MIDI implementation, more connectivity, sequencer, virtual analog synth and clonewheel engines. MODX has a modern touchscreen interface, FM synth engine, lighter travel weight, and a MUCH bigger wave set (5.67 gigabytes vs. 64 megabytes) plus the ability to load another gigabyte of sample data. What are you using it for? What kind of action do you prefer? Where are you located, is there a reason these are the only choices?

Reaction score
First, the ModX8 is an 88 key weighted keyboard, the PC3 is 76 keys semi-weighted. If you want an 88 key PC3 then the model is a PC3x, which has different price tag. The ModX has a superior piano, if you want an upgraded piano on par with the Modx then you should be looking at the PC3A series or specifically the PC3A8. The 88 key Kurzweil is fully weighted, though not graded. I've heard very few complaints regarding the TP40L keybed of the 88 note Kurzweils. The other consideration is weight, the yammy is 31 pounds while the 88 key kurz is 54. The kurz keyboard editing is extremely deep and with that depth comes complexity. The Kurz is a better value for what you get but VAST editing is complicated, as its 400 page manual might suggest.

Last edited:

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Direct competition from Kurzweil for the MODX is the PC4, recently released last winter.

The PC3 line is still very capable but the PC4 is supercharged with 2 GIGs of Sample ROM and 2 GIGs of user memory and way better pianos.

The MODX8 and the PC4 are competitively priced.

I own a PC3K8 and love it.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Welcome.

Can you confirm what $ you are referring to, ie $US etc

New a MODX at Sweetwater is $2000 and the Kursweil PC3 61 is $1400.

Hence if you are in the USA neither looks like a good deal.

$US, the keyboards are used thanks for reply!

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
If you're shopping around for used the PC3K line is almost ten years old now and can be had for a decent price. It holds up well even among more modern boards.

Then again if you're shopping used you either have to be patient and wait for your desired item to come up or else take whatever you can get in a hurry.

Blowing a grand or two on a keyboard is not a trivial decision. Take your time and see what else floats up. It's never wise to rush these deals.

It pays to be patient and do your homework.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
The Kurz naming of that series went like this:
PC3 = 76 keys (semi-weighted)
PC3X = 88 keys (hammer action)
PC361 = 61 keys (synth action)

The PC3 came out in 2008. It's still a very capable board, and can do some things that the more modern MODX cannot. It depends on what you need. To sum up some of the biggest differences, PC3 series has aftertouch, a more extensive MIDI implementation, more connectivity, sequencer, virtual analog synth and clonewheel engines. MODX has a modern touchscreen interface, FM synth engine, lighter travel weight, and a MUCH bigger wave set (5.67 gigabytes vs. 64 megabytes) plus the ability to load another gigabyte of sample data. What are you using it for? What kind of action do you prefer? Where are you located, is there a reason these are the only choices?
First of all I would like to start a recording studio, and also resolve to play live. I am from El Salvador, and then in the used instruments market they are the two best options that I have found looking for the value for money. I understand that the MODX has everything incorporated, but I have doubts about its durability for being an economic series. The PC3 is older but I think it is better built and I can also use it as a controller.

Reaction score
Yes, of the two then, I think I'd go for the PC3. It is stronger as a MIDI controller, and it has the kind of more tank-like build that may be preferable in a studio/backline environment where it can get a lot of use by people who don't always treat someone else's gear with the proper respect. The weakness in the areas you mentioned is that, while it's fine for live playing, it's heavier to carry around.

Reaction score
Yes, of the two then, I think I'd go for the PC3. It is stronger as a MIDI controller, and it has the kind of more tank-like build that may be preferable in a studio/backline environment where it can get a lot of use by people who don't always treat someone else's gear with the proper respect. The weakness in the areas you mentioned is that, while it's fine for live playing, it's heavier to carry around.
Thanks! I think i go for the PC3!, Another question.
The PC3 can receive samples in .wav format ??

Ask a Question