Yamaha Montage/MODX Tips and Tricks

Reaction score
This is a call to all altruistic Montage or MODX owners to share their learned "not in the manuals" knowledge.

I occasionally go to the yamahasynth.com forum, and there is lots to be learned there, and there are some very helpful contributors as well as dedicated Staff. But the format is "official yamaha helpdesk". There is not much room for general sharing and pairing of knowledge, and general consumer format chit-chat.

To get the ball rolling....

Here are some brief "Not In The Manuals" tips towards creating your own USER ARPS.

TIP#1: When using either the MIDI or Pattern Recorder, a separate TRACK (Multi Track Recording) will be recorded for each Part that is playing during the Recording i.e. Keyboard Control is ON for that Part.
When you get to the "Put Track to User Arpeggio" screen (this is actually in the Reference Manual and later Supplementary Manual) you NEED TO SPECIFY THE TRACK NUMBER you wish to create the Arp from.

For example, you will see an editable Box below the Screen Text "Arp Track1". In this box, you must enter the Track Number of the RECORDED TRACK you want to turn into an Arp.

TIP#2: The RECORDED TRACK Number is the same as the PART Number. If your Drum Part is in PART 4, and you wish to create a DRUM ARP, you must specify TRACK 4... i.e. In ARP TRACK1.... you must enter "4".

You can buy me a beer later. You will not find this in the Manuals.

Reaction score
Another Tip...

In any form of "Category Search" you can scroll through the "Bank/Favourite" filter without touching the Screen.

Just keep pressing the top panel Category Search button to Scroll through

All -> Preset -> Favourites -> User -> Library X -> Library Y -> Library Z.... -> All

If this is in the Manuals, I never found it.

Reaction score
Have you gotten audio thru the USB?
I just made a thread about this.
I'm also getting "duplicate" notes every time I record midi, which pro tools will eliminate, but it's a pain.
Great sounds, but not as friendly as my older Korg M50.

Reaction score
Since I posted this, I talked directly to Yamaha and found out that to get audio thru the USB, the MODX needs to set up as your interface.
It works when set this way, but not when you switch it back to whatever regular interface you use. So, you can get your parts recorded thru USB while on the MODX interface, print them as audio, then switch over to your default interface. I did this in Pro Tools 2021

Reaction score
More loopyness I imagine, and not in a good way.
I also have a older Korg M50. Much friendlier to MIDI and Pro Tools.

Ask a Question