Yamaha motifs - best one?

Reaction score
Hey.

After a lot of research, I've decided to buy the next level keyboard, and I've set my mind on the Yamaha Motif range. But there's so many different versions of the motif, and I can't really make up my mind. What would be the best one? The newest one XS-7 seems pretty nice, but I can't really tell the difference between the different versions.

For example; the ES-series and the XS-series, what's the difference? Seems like there's more sound editing options on the XS-series than the ES.

However, the thing I want to be perfect, is the sound. Sysryn, your keyboard does have an amazing sound quality, and I'd like something similar. Does anybody know which of the motifs would be best one?

<<Gratwhol>>

Reaction score
hi... The first motif came out in 2000 or 2001 and it's called "MOTIF" or MOTIF Classic. It's a great keyboard, but a bit old for today standards...

Next, yamaha came out with the MOTIF ES (6/7/8 stand for number of keys - 61,76 or 88 weighted keys), and the latest, and yamaha's flagship keyboard is the MOTIF XS.

I own motif ES and i love every bit of it, and these recordings DO NOT sound like the keyboard actually does - the keyboard sounds MUCH MUCH better.

I listened to ALL motif ES demo mp3 on the net and when I first sat down and tried the keyboard i realized that they are not even close to the motif sound.

I haven't tried the XS but I hear you can't add expansions on it like you can on th ES so, maybe it would be better to go for the ES and in the mean time save yourselves a LOT of money :)

Just for comparison... MOTIF Classic has 84Mb Wave ROM,
MOTIF ES has 175, and the XS has 355MB!!!!!!

But like I said... i personally think that neither of us could use more then 20% of the XS. I know i'm using maybe half of the ES's power :)

Reaction score
Sysryn is right...no expansion for the xs that i know of either.....but you can get extra sound sets here http://www.motifator.com/mart/mainframe.htm

Also, you can listen to the difference between a es and an xs here
http://charlie.keyfax.com/radio

The songs from the last link i posted are from es and xs owners

In my opinion, there is a difference in SOME of the sounds between the 2 with the xs having a slight edge....plus its yamaha's best and newest board....but the price reflects that too (between es and xs)

I have an ES rack and i love it....but prolly will at some point get the xs.....rumor has it, they may come out with an XS rack soon so i might wait on it and then sell my ES

Either way i dont think you can go wrong

Keyplayer

Reaction score
Hm. The expansions you are talking about, what exactly are they? Expansionpacks to soundstyles or voices?

<<Gratwhol>>

Reaction score
Hm. The expansions you are talking about, what exactly are they? Expansionpacks to soundstyles or voices?

<<Gratwhol>>

No, we're talking about expansion cards you put on board. Those cards give you extra sounds and poliphony

Ask a Question