Yamaha MX61 - How to Bank Song Sounds into a File?

Reaction score
I just got this Yamaha MX61 because I became too frustrated with the Korg X-50 (much too difficult trying to locate sounds). So far, I love the keyboard and am having fun exploring it. However... the manual (like most manuals) is very unclear on how to do specific tasks. I want to save as a file particular sounds for particular songs so that during a live performance I don't have to be spinning the wheel (literally) trying to locate the specific sound I want - twice actually when you consider there are usually two sounds for each song that I'm going to be playing. Thank you.
Yamah MX61.jpeg

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
On a Yamaha keyboard this would normally be done with a registration, where you set up the voices, effects, style, tempo, and other parameters that you want to use, then save them as a registration for fast recall at a later time.

If I'm not mistaken, the equivalent feature on a Yamaha synth is called a "performance." You can set up the voices and other things you want to use, then save them as a performance. And you can select a performance via MIDI, using the Bank Select MSB/LSB and Program Change values specified in the Data List.

That might get you what you're looking for, or part of it. I haven't checked the manuals to see if you can switch or cycle through performances using a foot controller, but I believe that's one way that PSR-S/Tyros players select registrations without having to punch any buttons. And if you have an iPad that you can connect, there are apps that let you send Bank/Program messages when calling up sheet music in the app.

Ask a Question