Yamaha mx61 issues. Detuning, !!

Reaction score
Had this keyboard 3yrs.. no problems until original adapter died. Used universal, noticed detuning, especially at p4 interval, certain chords. Replaced with a sturdier adapter, 12v@2amps. Same problem. Great kb, would like to hold on. Any advice?

Reaction score
I do not have an MX but (a) if it has a button cell battery you could start by replacing it (b) if the keyboard can run on batteries have you tried to do so (c) if you are tech savvy you could always connect up a 12v automotive battery to the keyboard making sure the plug has the correct polarity.

(b) & (c) would rule out power supply issues.

Otherwise:-

Not all adaptors have a stable output, the spec for the MX is 12v and 1500mA so yours have the Amperage but maybe not as stable a Voltage as the MX needs.

If you bought off Amazon or eBay then that might be the source of your problem.

I would seek out a genuine Yamaha power supply bought from an Authorised Yamaha Retailer.

If you then still have the problem then a visit to a Tech Repair Shop would no doubt be required.

Reaction score
I do not have an MX but (a) if it has a button cell battery you could start by replacing it (b) if the keyboard can run on batteries have you tried to do so (c) if you are tech savvy you could always connect up a 12v automotive battery to the keyboard making sure the plug has the correct polarity.

(b) & (c) would rule out power supply issues.

Otherwise:-

Not all adaptors have a stable output, the spec for the MX is 12v and 1500mA so yours have the Amperage but maybe not as stable a Voltage as the MX needs.

If you bought off Amazon or eBay then that might be the source of your problem.

I would seek out a genuine Yamaha power supply bought from an Authorised Yamaha Retailer.

If you then still have the problem then a visit to a Tech Repair Shop would no doubt be required.
Thanx, might go with orig,adapter..

Reaction score
Was the Yamaha original adapter center positive or center negative? Is the replacement adapter the same as the Yamaha? is the replacement adapter regulated or non-regulated? Regulated cost more for a good reason.

Reaction score
Just go with a new Yamaha adapter if you haven't already. I almost fried my PSR-295 and YPG-235 keyboards by using a "universal" power adapter.

Ask a Question