Yamaha MX61 Saving performance

Reaction score
I finally bought a Yamaha MX61 and I'm left with a beautifully sounding keyboard and a few doubts.

1. All 128 performances are currently loaded with factory defaults, and if I want to save any performance of my own, don't I need to overwrite them?

2. Is there a way which I can take a backup of these factory performances to USB drive so that I don't lose them?

3. After editing in VycroMX, do I just need to press the store button to save that performance (newly edited in VycroMX) to the keyboard?

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
(1) Yes, any user performance you save will overwrite one of the factory preset performances.

(2) You can save the factory preset performances if you wish (see below), but even if you don't save them and you overwrite all of them with your own user performances, you won't "lose" the factory preset performances because you can always use a restore procedure (described in the manual) to get them back.

(3) Yes, once you've edited the performance in Vycro MX, you can save it back to the MX. You can also save it to your computer, either as an individual performance file or as part of a collection.

Even though you can always use the restore procedure to recover the factory preset performances, you might still want to save them to your computer (or USB flash drive, etc.). Then you'll be able to assemble your own bank of 128 performances by mixing and matching individual performances from the factory presets, any expansion packs you've downloaded, and of course your own user performances.

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
See page 32 of the Owner's Manual. Basically, you're saving the entire memory of the MX. Afterward you can load individual performances from the save file if you want, and they don't even need to be loaded to the same slot-- for example, you could load performance 012 from the save file but load it to performance 123 in the MX.

If you've already started modifying the performances, you might want to save everything you have first, then you can do the reset to restore the factory settings (see page 11 of the Owner's Manual). Once you've restored all of the factory settings, you can save everything to another save file. (You can have multiple save files, because each one can have its own unique filename.)

Ask a Question