Yamaha Old and New.

Reaction score
Hi all, a couple of things here, managed to get a freebie in and early PSRE323 for the grand kids to play around with, but it doesn't appear to be able to save user settings like the newer models do, as in banks etc. We have recently purchased a new PSRE463, to replace the older PSREW400, and the sounds of the 463 are incredible. We are also looking at getting the PSRE363 for the kids also, due to the 463 being a bit overkill for them to muck around on. We were considering a Beale AK280, around the same price at the moment, but 5 minutes trying the Beale in the shop, quickly showed it isn't in the same street as the Yamaha when it comes down to being user friendly. The Yamaha's are so easy to customize and save patches, but the Beale is a different story, and much more limited then the others. Any ideas would be great. Cheers

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
It looks like the Registration Memory feature wasn't added to the PSR-E300 line until the PSR-E343.

Are you saying that the PSR-E463 sounds better than the PSR-EW400? I wonder what they changed?

Reaction score
Much improved voices , Michael. Piano, sax,and many others much more realistic. I do miss the 12 watts per channel output, and the better speakers though. I would have gone for the PSREW410, but there is no stock anywhere in Aus at the moment, in fact, Yamaha is as rare as, only the very low end stuff in the shops.

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
There’s a phrase you don’t see every day!

True! That Beale AK280 must have been pretty awkward to use. :D

All kidding aside, Yamaha models that require a lot of "menu diving"-- which is just about all models, I guess-- can be cumbersome to set up, although it isn't quite so bad on lower models like the PSR-E300 line where there are fewer functions in the menu to have to scroll through.

And many Yamaha models have certain functions that can be shortcutted to using the panel controls, such as by pressing and momentarily holding a specific button to call up and set a specific function, which can dramatically decrease the amount of scrolling needed to reach a particular function in the menu by letting you shortcut to some function that's nearby in the menu structure so you don't have as far to scroll.

But I imagine it's also largely a matter of what you're used to, because someone who uses a particular piece of hardware or software a great deal will often, over time, become very rapid and proficient at using it, to the point where they could "do it in their sleep."

So someone who's already well-acquainted with Yamaha's way of doing things, but not with another brand's way, will no doubt have an easier time getting around on a "new to them" Yamaha keyboard versus another brand-- and vice versa, of course.

Having said that, I must admit that I have zero familiarity with Beale keyboards, and don't think I'd even heard of them before today, so I have no idea how good or bad they sound, and how easy or hard they are to operate.

Reaction score
Hi all, decided to go for a new Casio CTX3000 to keep company with the Yamaha PSRE463. I must say some of the sounds in the Casio are better than the Yammie, mainly the nylon guitar and sax instruments, but the Yamaha still has all the ace cards when it comes down to the piano sound. Also, the 463 is much easier to navigate the menus and the setting up of stored settings. The Casio doesn't make sense in some areas of that department, and requires constant ''manual reading'' just to save favorite sound setups, and some instructions appear to contradict each other, but I guess only time will make things easier. I think once you have owned a late series Yamaha, it is easy to work out the menus etc, in the different models, so the Casios are most likely the same in that way, but it is well worth learning due to many of the instruments being top class samples.

Ask a Question