Yamaha or Roland, or other?

RPD

Reaction score
Hello All...we're new here...great forum!

We're adding a keyboard to our studio/stage, and are considering the MO6 at around $1200...we're not major key players (flute and guitars mostly) so ease of use/transport is paramount...

How are the sounds in the Yamaha, compared to Roland and others? I checked one out at GC yesterday and it sounded pretty authentic...apparently its based on the Motif platform? We're wondering if you all think we'd be better off going the extra $ for the Motif XS6 or something similar...I haven't really understood what the differences are in the two units so far, as far as how they sound...I'm guessing its more a matter of expandability etc (?)

What we are planning to do is this:

Split the keyboard into lower synth bass, and build bass (and other) loops onstage in real time, over which we will then play other instruments and live drums...

Thoughts? RPD

Reaction score
Welcome to the keyboardforums RPD, I'm new around here too. I've been heavily considering the MO8 myself, seems to be a nice intermediate keyboard with a good selection of Motif sound engine and doesn't break the bank. The MO6 should work for your requirements. Do I hearsome Pink Floyd immulating :). The Korg TR line is also in this price range, and for 61 keys the Roland Juno G model. Its best to go to a music store and check out the sounds, so you get what you expect to hear in your music development. Good luck! ROT

Reaction score
Hi and wellcome.

I think that the MO is the best keyboard in its price range. Almost all motif sounds are in there and the same waveform with 175Mb (TR has only 64).

But like Rotor said... it would be good for you to try it yourself.

Ask a Question