Yamaha p-105- silent on low volume/high keys thunk!

Reaction score
I suspect there's something wrong with the sound on my keyboard which is just received this week. I rang Chase Direct where i purchased and they told me to ring Yamaha for advise so will call in morn, but hoping someone can help before :confused:

Please can anyone advise if they know about this keyboard?

I thought the high keys were a bit low on sound but thought ok, they are meant to be like a real piano hammer keys. But just not sure if they should be that low. I'm sure you should hear all the keys even on lowest volume, as i've read online somewhere.

I put the volume to 1:
there is no sound on all keys, even if i thump keys,
so i set to pipe organ settings, as not so pressure responsive and then tried again....no sound.

i set the volume to 1.5 then there is slight sound on all keys.

I tested on speakers on on headset and still same results.

-To sum up, the minimum volume setting to get a sound is on 1.5.

-Also the last octave keys when played as gently as possible: hmmm... i can still hear the clunk louder than the note. The clunks are even more resounding when volume is maximum as they are amplified through the speakers.

Is this a problem with sound or just as on all yamaha p105s?

• :confused:

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
I have no personal experience with the P-105, but it seems to have gotten pretty good ratings from owners-- the online stores seem to have it rated somewhere between 4 and 5 stars out of 5-- and I assume it would probably get lower ratings if the behavior you described is normal, so I hope you can get some good help from Yamaha. At the very least, they can tell you if that behavior is to be expected, and if it's a new keyboard then it should be under warranty.

It looks like Chase Direct has a 7-day return policy, so keep that in mind if you feel like you might need to return it.

I was half tempted to ask you why you'd want to play the keyboard at the lowest volume setting, but I see that the P-105 has a slider-type master volume control as opposed to a dial, and I know that on my old Casio keyboard the slider volume control has only so many settings and the "jump" in volume from one setting to the next is rather noticeable. When I was living in an apartment I would always play my Casio on the lowest volume setting to avoid disturbing any of my neighbors; and even with headphones plugged in, the lowest volume setting was plenty loud enough. So I can understand why you want to be able to play the keyboard at the lowest volume setting-- although I am surprised that the P-105 has a slider-type master volume control, since the P-105 was released just three(?) years ago, and appears to cost about $500 in the US, so it's not like the P-105 is a cheap keyboard from two or three decades ago.

Reaction score
I had a similar problem including no sound on a P-105. It was the slider itself. Dust or lack of good contact inside that slider. I used a spray QD contact cleaner and slid the slider back and forth. This cleared it up. Yes. It should have been a knob based potentiometer.

Ask a Question