Yamaha P-125 as master keyboard !

hmt

Reaction score
I was hoping to get a Yamaha p-125 to be used as a master keyboard. I wanted to use it with my PSR SX900 as I wanted to get a hammer action instead of that organ type keys. But the Yamaha p-125 doesn't have a midi out rather it has a USB type B port which is used as a host port. So, is there any way I can use it to control the SX900 ? Really need help. Moreover I saw some options like midi host hubs but these are not available in my country. Just I need a simple way to connect these two boards. Really need the help.

Reaction score
I am unsure from your post if you have a P125 or intending to buy one.

If you are intending to buy you would be better off getting a keyboard with MIDI connections.

At a similar price point with MIDI sockets is the Korg D1 & the Kawai ES110,

Also you could buy an 88 key MIDI controller like a Studiologic SL88 Grand or M Audio Hammer 88.

If you have a P125 then a simple Adapter Lead should suffice, but as I have not connected in this way I will leave it to others with better knowledge than I.

Reaction score
Moreover I saw some options like midi host hubs but these are not available in my country. Just I need a simple way to connect these two boards.
USB requires a host, period. The host can be a computer, an iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch, a standalone box, or in some cases, may be built into a keyboard (but not in the case of the SX900). What country are you in? Can you not order a host device from some other country if need be? Or maybe you can use a computer or iOS device? Otherwise, picking up from Biggles said, if you already have the P-125, the best option might be to trade it in on a board that does what you need. Some others he didn't mention would be Kurzweil SP1 or KA90. Or if there's a decent used market where you are, there are plenty of older Yamaha and Casio models that would work, too. Their lower end models used to have MIDI jacks on them before they switched to just USB.

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
If you can't buy a USB MIDI host interface (such as a Kenton USB MIDI host) in your country, you can use a computer, laptop, or tablet, as long as it has the proper USB ports for connecting to both keyboards. Note that a tablet will usually require buying an additional adapter that lets you plug a USB device into the tablet's non-USB port, whereas most computers and laptops have the proper types of USB ports.

Then you can use MIDI routing software (such as a DAW) to transfer the MIDI data from one keyboard to the other.

That is usually the simplest solution if for some reason you can't, or don't want to, buy a dedicated USB MIDI host device, because most people already have a computer or laptop anyway.

But if you can't, or don't want to, use a computer as your USB MIDI host interface and router, then a dedicated USB MIDI host device will be your only option, really.

Reaction score
If you only have the USB jack on the machine you are considering, you will either need a standalone USB to MIDI Host device or a computer of some kind. Yes, some keyboards offer the USB Host functionality, but I am not privy to the exact models that do.

I cannot imagine that a product would not be available in a certain country, as you can always order internationally to get what you need (unless no company sells in your country).

I would caution against the Kurzweil SP1 as an option, as while it does have the 5-pin MIDI jack that allows for MIDI setups, it has problems with the MIDI Solutions MIDI Thru devices that they sell. The Kurzweil SP1 (and other Kurzweil products) are not able to power these devices and you will need to buy the power adapter directly frmo MIDI Solutions (who are based in Canada). I have an SP1 and learned the hard way before a gig that they do not pwoer the MIDI Thru boxes without the addition of the Power Adapter device (which cost me $50 USD).

This may sound like a rant against the Kurzweil SP1 and I suppose that it could be considered as such. The piano sounds on it are terrible (that is why I wanted to MIDI different keyboards to it), but the EP and Strings are pretty good. The action is great (in my opinion). What I really liked about the SP1 was the fact that each 'section' (Piano Section, EP Section, String Section, Other Sounds Section) had individual volume controls right on the front face of the keyboard. That allowed for 'on the fly' volume changes without having to dive into menus to set volumes for the different parts. It is a lightweight board as well and again, I liked the action.

In correspondence with Kurzweil, I got the usual 'runaround' about the product. They tried to tell me that I needed a flagship model from them instead of trying to find solutions for the product I already had. They also said that it was a beginner/student model, while they are promoting it on their website as a professional model; this is misleading.

If you are looking to simply play the sounds from an 88-key keybed, then maybe a controller is the way to go. If you plan on layering the different sounds together between the two, then you still have many options, many of them in the $500 - $1500 range.

Grace,
Harry

Reaction score
I would caution against the Kurzweil SP1 as an option, as while it does have the 5-pin MIDI jack that allows for MIDI setups, it has problems with the MIDI Solutions MIDI Thru devices that they sell. The Kurzweil SP1 (and other Kurzweil products) are not able to power these devices

That's an interesting point, but almost certainly not an issue here. The vast majority of people don't need to put MIDI powered devices (like the MIDI Solutions boxes) on their keyboards, and the OP would not need such a device to do what he's asking (to use the SP1 to play the PSR SX900 as a MIDI controller).

For anyone else who might be running into this, if you need a MIDI Thru box that will work with anything (i.e. does not need to take power from the keyboard), you can get them from companies like Amptone (works on battery or with AC adapter) or Kenton (AC adapter). Though if you do have a board that supplies power over MIDI, the MIDI Solutions box is a nice option, since you don't have to worry about having to plug in another wall wart somewhere (or use a battery that might run down).

Reaction score
It would be nice if the Op would state if they actually have a P125.

If they do not then surely the better solution would be to buy a keyboard with standard MIDI sockets and connectivity?

Ask a Question