Yamaha P-125 MIDI trouble.

Reaction score
I try to use my Yamaha P-125 as a MIDI controller on my PC (Windows 10), but the driver can't install successfully.
When I plug in the piano to my pc by USB (cable working properly), I turn on the piano, and I can hear Windows detects a new device.
But when I run the setup.exe of the driver (named USB-MIDI Driver V3.1.4 for Win 10/8.1/8/7 (64-bit) on the Yamaha's site), after 3 or 4 ordinary steps, the installer meets an error "Yamaha USB-MIDI driver error" "no device is connected. Connect a device and try again. etc.".
I have also installed the Yamaha Steinberg USB Driver V2.0.4 for Windows 10 (64-bit). I can send audio through the speakers on my piano, but I haven't been able to successfully transmit data from the piano to the computer.

Would anyone have an idea ?

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
From what I see on Yamaha's website, the Steinberg USB driver is listed as the driver to use with the P-125. The fact that you're able to transmit audio from the P-125 to your computer over the USB connection confirms this. Consequently, the Yamaha USB-MIDI driver will not work with the P-125, because the USB data coming from the P-125 contains both audio and MIDI data, and the Yamaha USB-MIDI driver is not designed to handle the audio data, whereas the Steinberg USB driver is. Unless you have an additional Yamaha model which needs to use the Yamaha USB-MIDI driver, you should uninstall it from your computer (assuming it did get installed despite that error message).

As far as transmitting MIDI data from the keyboard to your computer, that should be happening with or without a driver installed-- I think the driver should be optional for MIDI, and only required for audio. If you're having trouble getting the keyboard's data into a computer program, it's probably something related to how things are set up in the computer program. What software are you using?

Ask a Question