Yamaha P120 and Macbook Pro (10.6.8) - need help and/or advice

Reaction score
Hope all are well.

I have a Yamaha P120 piano that I want to use for composition, but I'm having trouble getting it to work with my Mac. I have read the P120 manual. I bought an Emu Midi interface (USB connection to Mac, with male Midi in-and-out connectors to keyboard).

It's been years since I used a software sequencer I'm hooking everything up and tried Garageband and a prior version of Reaper that works with Snow Leopard (10.6.8). Garageband won't send MIDI to the P120, and I'll be darned if I can figure out how to make Reaper do the same. Reaper is powerful, but it's *complicated*. I tried an earlier version of Audacity, and it will not send MIDI out, and the darned thing is also a really deep program with endless menus.

All I want to do is play the P120 and thus input MIDI information streaming from the P120 to my Mac and then have the Mac be able to send MIDI out back in to the P120 so that I can hear the **P120** sound fonts as I played them on the P12o and *see* the MIDI events recorded on the computer so that I can change them manually, if necessary. I'm an intermediate level player, so I need a tool that will let me see what I have played and at the same time will let me tweak it to perfection by manipulating the software, because my playing skills are not 1st tier.

Does anyone have a suggestion that would provide a SIMPLE solution to my problem? The P120 should accept MIDI. Maybe I'm doing something wrong on that end? Is it that Yamaha instruments back from the day are just difficult? I don't know. I'm not a MIDI rookie, but have been away from this stuff for almost 20 years and having to climb back up the learning curve. Failing a successful result from this query, I may have to try to find someone who really knows his/her stuff and pay a few bucks to have them figure it out. I'm retired on a fixed income so I would prefer to figure this out without paid help.

Any other suggestions appreciated. I'm at my wits end about this, having tried several solutions and getting nowhere.

Ask a Question