Yamaha p515 and smart pianist app

Reaction score
I watched a video today of a demo of this piano and it showed the smart pianist app. This is supposedly the best of the best.
I was wondering if I should exchange my Juno synth to this?
it has a bunch of voices labeled eg sounds I think and there are over 400 different ones!
the pianist app looks very cool. but Of course the demo is t going to show you all the bugs. I’m disappointed that Roland doesn’t have such an app except for the librarian. Not really the same.
just wondering what the realworld usage of this is and usefulness?
I really like the Juno but think it may be too complicated for me I don’t understand all the recording of tracks. It’s too cumbersome.

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
I think @Biggles may have some experience with the Smart Pianist app, so hopefully he'll chime in about it. :)

I can't tell you whether you'd be happier with a P-515 or a Juno-DS88. The Juno is a synth and has more overall flexibility. The P-515 has XG voices, and you can modify their voice parameters similar to on a synth, but as far as I know you must use external software to do that.

Reaction score
Can I suggest that if you have a query that you search the forum first to see if the question has been asked before.

You would have found this threadbof mine.

Going from a synth to a DP just because of an App is a bit extreme but I suppose that depends upon what you want out of a keyboard.

If you are after a Digital Piano then the P515 is a very good unit but at its price point it is against a Kawai and a Roland RD88 undercuts it by 20%

Also consider a Yamaha DGX 660.

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
As far as considering the DGX-660, note that it can't use the Smart Pianist app; so if that app is going to be a critical deciding factor for you, I would discount the DGX-660 and consider instead any other models that are compatible with Smart Pianist. But the DGX-660 is a good choice for less money if the Smart Pianist app isn't a must-have.

By the way, you might want to check out the weight of any keyboard (Yamaha or otherwise) that you're thinking of switching to, because if portability is going to be important then you'll most likely want something that won't strain your back whenever you need to cart it around.

EDIT: And in general, see if it's possible to try out any keyboards you're interested in at any nearby stores, so you can see how they sound and feel in person before you make a decision.

Reaction score
I think i'm just a little intimidated by all the capabilities of the rhythm sections that the Juno has. Reading the manual it seems complicated. I did play the DGX 660 in the store at the same time I played the Juno and much preferred the Juno. I just wish it had recording capabilities built in.
I am enjoying the Juno and all the different sounds.
I didn’t realize the P515 had all of the extra XG sounds.

Reaction score
I bought the DS as a secondary instrument for practice. My Kawai upright is in the main area of the house so it’s nice to have the keyboard in another room.
so when shopping for a digital I figured I’d get one that has different sounds to keep things interesting. (I still don’t understand the phrase pads but that’s not important now)
I didn’t like the DGX660 even though it did everything I would want.
I Would like to record and play along with interactive sheet music to help learn.
The DS doesn’t have Bluetooth.
I can record in GarageBand hooked up to the computer yes.
Still trying this figure out my best use scenario for simplest ways.
I do love the instrument though. I got a bundle at a good price so I’m not sure it’s worth another $600 fir the P515

Reaction score
I Would like to record and play along with interactive sheet music to help learn.
If this is your main criteria for buying a P125 and using Smart Pianist then you will probably be disappointed with the App this is not its prime use

Smart pianist is used to create Registrations and using the App is a way of having touch screen control. I have not used the App for over three months, it is that useful.

Flowkey is the learning App. As far as I know you cannot add a file to the App.

There are other Apps available that you can use to display your own sheet music and with the use of a Bluetooth foot switch you can advance the display.

Reaction score
Hi Biggles,
Actually signed up for FlowKey today! And downloaded the forScore app.

after a little more research I decided I’ll stick with the DS. it’s a Great instrument and I can work around what I need to do. I’ll save my money and upgrade in a few years when I’m sure there’ll be something even better.

Reaction score
Flowkey should work OK with your DS, the App “listens” to the notes being played and will pause playback until you play the correct notes.

You can also vary the playback speed which is useful.

I was offered a cheap sub deal at the end of the three months trial so I am learning a few songs using the App.

At present learning Intersteller.

Ask a Question