Yamaha playback

Reaction score
I'd like to be able to playback my Yamaha DGX 640 from both the keyboard speakers and the mic input if possible, although I don't think it is. I'm kind of reaching here, but just thought I'd ask if anyone knew if it was feasible. The reason is that I'd like to record via the mic input, but I can't hear what I'm playing when I do. I've tried all combos of splitters and adapters, and while I have achieved my goal that way the clearest sound by far is when I'm running a single cord from the keyboard to the PC without any splitters.

Any suggestions are welcome, and thanks.

The Y_man

Reaction score
Bit confused here - mic input on your PC?

Are you saying you are connecting the headphone output on the keyboard to the mic input on PC?

The Y-man

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
OK, so I assume you have a cable running from the headphone output jack on the DGX to the blue Line In input jack on your PC?

If so, then you have to go into your windows mixer and enable the line input as a capture device.

Then it should be able to record and play back thru the computer's speakers.

Gary

Reaction score
Yeah, I have it connected as you said. When I go into the recording devices panel - this is what you meant by windows mixer? - it shows the device as enabled and it registers the keyboard sounds, but won't play through the speakers. When I check the box that says 'Listen to this device' a random tone gets exponentially louder to the point of blowing out my speakers and I turn it off.

How do I enable it as a capture device as you suggest? Here's a screen:

http://i.imgur.com/DJrxiQW.jpg

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
You should select line in at rear panel (blue)

Right now your input device is set to microphone. That's why you're getting feedback.

Reaction score
I thought of that, but even when something's plugged into the blue line in panel the recording tab won't show it. It shows the line in at rear panel (blue) as "enabled", but "unplugged" even when it is. Instead, when I plug into the blue line in, the one labeled "stereo mix" responds. When I right click it, the "set as default device" option is grey and unavailable. I don't know if fixing this would solve the problem, or if it's even possible to change that behavior.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
First of all, audio soundcard jacks do NOT sense whether or not they're connected. They're just not that "smart."

Secondly what you are experiencing is definitely a misconfiguration. Either there's a webcam with a mic plugged in or a mic built into your computer that's causing the feedback.

I normally run linux so I'm not intimately familiar with your particular flavor of windows mixer but basically you are feeding the signal to the blue LINE INPUT on the sound card and somewhere in your mixer or control panel audio settings you can set that to the default source.

Sorry I can't be more helpful.

Gary

Reaction score
Thanks for your replies. I finally found a configuration I'm pleased with that allows me to listen while I play and record at good quality. I'm using a 1/4" male to dual 1/8" female adapter, using one as a headphone out and the other for a 1/8" male to RCA stereo female adapter and finally a stereo RCA to 1/8" plugged into the line in (blue). I had tried something similar to this before, but recording mono with a 1/8" male to 1/8" male cord, and I could hear myself but the recording wasn't to my standards. If you're still reading, thanks again for your time spent on my plight, I really do appreciate it!

Ask a Question