Yamaha PS 530 Question

Reaction score
When splitting the keyboard in order to play a bass line with the left hand, is there a way to set the volume louder for the portion of the keyboard set to play bass without increasing the volume for the entire keyboard? If this is not possible, any recommendations as to what kind of secondary keyboard would be good just to play bass? I would need a unit that had the transpose feature. Is this something I might use with the MIDI output of the PS 530? I don't really know anything about using MIDI. Any suggestions?

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
Just to be clear (so I can check the appropriate manual), do you mean the PSR-530?

Most Yamaha keyboards let you set the volume for each part, so you should be able to go into the mixer screen or function menu and set the volume for the Left Part or Split Voice (whatever the specific model of Yamaha calls it). These volumes usually default to the predetermined volume setting for whichever preset voice you've selected for a given part, and many of the preset voices do seem to have rather low volume settings. So you may want to turn up the volume setting for the Left/Split voice, and possibly even turn down the volume setting for the Right1/Main voice, to get them balanced to your liking.

Many Yamaha keyboards let you save your settings to a registration, so you might want to do that after you get everything set up the way you want. Some Yamaha keyboards also let you modify the various parameters associated with a given preset voice and then save them as a "user voice," so you might be able to do that as well.

Reaction score
Just to be clear (so I can check the appropriate manual), do you mean the PSR-530?

Most Yamaha keyboards let you set the volume for each part, so you should be able to go into the mixer screen or function menu and set the volume for the Left Part or Split Voice (whatever the specific model of Yamaha calls it). These volumes usually default to the predetermined volume setting for whichever preset voice you've selected for a given part, and many of the preset voices do seem to have rather low volume settings. So you may want to turn up the volume setting for the Left/Split voice, and possibly even turn down the volume setting for the Right1/Main voice, to get them balanced to your liking.

Many Yamaha keyboards let you save your settings to a registration, so you might want to do that after you get everything set up the way you want. Some Yamaha keyboards also let you modify the various parameters associated with a given preset voice and then save them as a "user voice," so you might be able to do that as well.

Reaction score
Yes, it's a PSR 530. I have the manual, but maybe I missed that part. I will look into it some more and see what I can find. Thanks for the response......

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
I don't know if you've got the PDF version of the manual, but if not, I highly recommend going to Yamaha's web site and downloading it, because it's much easier to look for information in a PDF file than a printed manual by using the Find (CTRL-F) command to search for occurrences of the word, phrase, or combination of characters that you're looking for. :)

See the section called "Revoicing" which begins on page 78. It tells you how to change the parameters used for the voices you've selected for the R1, R2, and L parts or voices.

On the newer PSR-S, Tyros, and Genos models I believe these functions are referred to as the "mixer," which is why I mentioned the mixer screen.

On the PSR-E models (which are the kind that I own) there is no "mixer screen," so one must enter the function menu and navigate through the individual functions to find the parameters one wishes to change.

Anyway, the MASTER VOLUME knob controls the amplitude of the sound coming from the built-in speakers, or being sent to the headphones or audio output jack, but turning up the volume to hear the L voice better won't do any good if everything else gets louder, too!

So the REVOICE button lets you display the parameter settings for the R1, R2, and L voices-- as well as the song or accompaniment tracks-- so you can change those settings as desired, which lets you create a better balance between the volumes of the various voices and tracks. Then, once you've got a more pleasing balance, use the MASTER VOLUME to adjust the overall volume. :)

Reaction score
This sounds good - I'm going to try it. That would be great if I could bump up the volume for the bass being played on the left hand. Thanks a lot - I will keep you posted.

Ask a Question