Yamaha PSR-2000 NO SOUND AT ALL *NEWBIE*

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I recently acquired a PSR-2000 and upon plugging it in I noticed there is no sound. I searched up how to restore factory settings, quick reset, checked to make sure nothing was plugged into the other jacks, and I disabled "local". Nothing worked! still no sound, not even a crackle from the speakers with the master turned all the way up. From what I know about it It has been sitting for quite a while so I am guessing something internally went bad, possible a capacitor??

Im not great with electrical diagnosis but I can easily take it apart and resolder if I must. If anyone has any suggestions for me I would greatly appreciate it! There is not much repair info I could find for this specific model. Thanks everyone!

Reaction score
Welcome.

Have you tried to plug in a pair of headphones?

If the headphones have sound check in the OS if the speakers are turned off.

If still no sound its screwdriver time

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I recently acquired a PSR-2000 and upon plugging it in I noticed there is no sound. I searched up how to restore factory settings, quick reset, checked to make sure nothing was plugged into the other jacks, and I disabled "local". Nothing worked! still no sound, not even a crackle from the speakers with the master turned all the way up. From what I know about it It has been sitting for quite a while so I am guessing something internally went bad, possible a capacitor??

Im not great with electrical diagnosis but I can easily take it apart and resolder if I must. If anyone has any suggestions for me I would greatly appreciate it! There is not much repair info I could find for this specific model. Thanks everyone!
hi
When "local" is disabled,
you have no sound from the keyboard
normal local is on
cheers

Reaction score
Hi guys, yes I enabled local (ON) and still nothing. Plugging in headphones did nothing at all either. I ended up opening it up and saw that the headphone board was broken. But I dont think it would have affected the speakers since it was only in the corner.
psr2000 2.jpg

Reaction score
Hi guys, yes I enabled local (ON) and still nothing. Plugging in headphones did nothing at all either. I ended up opening it up and saw that the headphone board was broken. But I dont think it would have affected the speakers since it was only in the corner. View attachment 2150
If the OP amp is on the headphone board and the headphone board is broken then the potential exists that no sound is traveling to the output jacks. I don't understand the electronic design (nor do I want to) of the PSR-2000 to understand if the above correlation exists. Fix the broken headphone board and do a retest. Then reassess. If you can get the headphone jack working then you could purchase a 1/4" TRS male to two 1/4" female adapter and potentially use that as your outputs.

If your L/R main outputs are TRS then this would be the correct adapter: 1/4" TRS male to (2) 1/4" TRS female

If your L/R main outputs are TS then this would be the correct adapter: 1/4" TRS male to (2) 1/4" TS female

Last edited:
Reaction score
So the headphone board is broken in half. Unfortunately I cannot find a replacement anywhere online. If I was to remove it completely would the keyboard automatically switch back to using the normal built in speakers?
psr2000 4.jpg

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Buy a 5 pack of prototype boards from China on Amazon or Ebay, learn how to solder and kludge together a replacement board, using the scavenged components that will fit the new board or replacing them with equivalents.

Or, there are fast turnaround services in china that etch, drill and fabricate small prototype lots of 5 or 10 for a buck or two per board. You can supply the artwork with standardized CAD programs or have them draw up the board from your schematic for a few extra bucks. Just Google on "Electronics prototyping services."

If you're up for the challenge it is fixable and a relatively easy fix compared to some soldering problems.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Hi guys, yes I enabled local (ON) and still nothing. Plugging in headphones did nothing at all either. I ended up opening it up and saw that the headphone board was broken. But I dont think it would have affected the speakers since it was only in the corner. View attachment 2150
Hi
The headphone jacks on the headphone board acts as a switchs between speakers or headphones.
An interruption causes neither of them to'function anymore
Try to restore the headphone board, verify it very closely
cheers
So the headphone board is broken in half. Unfortunately I cannot find a replacement anywhere online. If I was to remove it completely would the keyboard automatically switch back to using the normal built in speakers? View attachment 2152

Reaction score
hi By removing the board completely the keyboard would NOT switch back to use the normal built in speakers.
You can try to solder 5 ( one for every broken line) thin cables as a bridge. As I can see you can use the actual solder points to fix it.
good luck

Reaction score
Mris, I think your method may be the easiest for me to do. From what I understood there are 5 pins on the left most side of the board. And before those pins could reach their destination the crack cut that connection off. I drew a little diagram showing what the soldered wire connection should look like. Could you please let me know if I did it correctly before i attempt it on the actual keyboard. Thanks again! (3rd pin down looks like 2 wires are coming off of it but it was unintentional. meant for one of those to be connected to 2nd pin from the top).
psr2000 eire edit.JPG

Reaction score
hi
your diagram has been correctly interpreted.
Some hints
Watch out when soldering that you do not loosen any components(back of the PCB.
After soldering check that there is NO contact between the soldering tips.
careful with connection 2 on the left (smallest !!!!)
second pin left to second from the top !!!!!
good luck

Ask a Question