Yamaha Psr 3000 (Midi in)

Reaction score
Hi,
I am new to this forum.
I am using yamaha psr 3000 as midi controller to the external sequencer. I don't know how to import midi files sequenced in external software into psr 3000.

Thank you.

Fred Coulter

Collector of ancient keyboards
Reaction score
Have you tried the owner's manual; available at http://download.yamaha.com/search/p...&category_id=16535&product_id=106898? Having read the pertinent sections, I have to say that it's not all that friendly.

I'm assuming you want to play the songs without using an external sequencer or computer. On page 135, it says you can play songs on USB devices, Smart Memory cards, and on floppy disks. What it doesn't say is what the file format is. Try creating a (short and simple) song using the keyboard. Save it to the USB or Smart Memory card. Then go to your computer and see how the file is saved. According to the specs (http://usa.yamaha.com/products/musical-instruments/keyboards/arranger_workstations/psr-3000/), it should save and play SMF (Standard Midi Files), so once you know how it saves them, you should be able to create and save your own. As for assigning instruments, etc., you'll probably need to do so on the keyboard rather than on your computer.

Let us know what you discover.

Also, you might want to ask people at http://www.psrtutorial.com/forum/index.php?board=15.0, which is dedicated to the 1500/3000. I'm just guessing, but they will KNOW.

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
I haven't studied the manual in depth yet, but after glancing at it and checking Yamaha's downloads for the PSR-3000 I'm going to assume that this works more or less the same as on the PSR-E models that I have.

There are basically three ways you can play a MIDI song file on the keyboard. By the way, the song file can be either a "format 0" or "format 1" MIDI file-- format 0 means all of the MIDI channels being used for the song are coded into a single "MTrk" MIDI track chunk; format 1 means the MIDI channels are split between multiple MIDI track chunks, usually (but not necessarily) one MIDI channel per MIDI track chunk. [EDIT: Don't worry about that, as your MIDI sequencing software should take care of it when you save or export the song to a MIDI file-- the only reason I mentioned it is to let you know that either of those formats will work, hence you don't need to fret about whether the MIDI song file is a format 0 or format 1 MIDI file.]

The first method is to connect the keyboard to either a computer device (desktop, laptop, tablet, etc.) or a MIDI device (hardware sequencer, etc.) and play the MIDI song file on the connected device, sending the MIDI data to the keyboard. Since you asked about "how to import," I assume you aren't interested in this method right now.

The second method is to connect the keyboard to either a Windows computer device or an iOS computer device and use the Yamaha Musicsoft Downloader (Windows) program or the Yamaha MusicSoft Manager (iOS) app to transfer the MIDI song file to the keyboard's internal memory. It should then show up in the "USER" category when you press the "SONG SELECT" button on the keyboard.

The third method is to put the MIDI song file on a USB thumb drive or smart card and insert the media into the appropriate port of the keyboard. You can then press the "SONG SELECT" button and the MIDI song file should show up in either the "CARD" (smart card) or "USB1" (USB thumb drive) category.

Reaction score
Hi, thanks for the reply. I had tried to copy the file into usb device and inserted into yamaha psr 3000. But the copied file is not displayed in yamaha screen (yamaha is not able to identify the midi file sequenced in external software). I read the yamaha manual regarding the supported midi files, but as you said it's not user friendly and confusing.
Anyways, i will try again this method.

Many Thanks...

SeaGtGruff

Reaction score
Are you able to play the MIDI song file from the USB thumb drive using a MIDI player on your computer? That is, if you open your computer's file explorer and browse to the USB thumb drive, then double-click on the MIDI file, will it play? If the computer doesn't know what program to use to open the MIDI file, try selecting an audio program to use. Even though MIDI files don't contain any audio data, many audio players will play MIDI files using the operating system's default MIDI device (e.g., the Microsoft GS Wavetable Synth). I'm just wondering if the problem might be something about the file itself.

Fred Coulter

Collector of ancient keyboards
Reaction score
This may be way off base, but doesn't Yamaha expect their MIDI files to have a specific extension? What's the name of the file on the USB drive?

SeaGtGruff

Reaction score
Jason,

When you insert the USB thumb drive into the "USB To Device" port, does the "USB1" tab appear on the screen after you press the "Song Select" button? I'm wondering if the keyboard is having trouble reading the USB thumb drive itself. You might need to use a USB thumb drive that's formatted for a different file system-- e.g., FAT16. Plug the USB thumb drive into your computer, right-click on the drive in the file explorer, and look at its properties-- what file system does it use?

Fred,

For MIDI song files, Yamaha normally expects to see the standard ".MID" file extension.

For other types of MIDI files-- e.g., style files and voice files-- the file extensions which are recognized by the keyboard can vary from model to model.

Reaction score
Hi thanks you all for the suggestions. Now it's working fine. :)
The problem was with the midi file. The way I was exporting the midi file from the external software was wrong. That was the reason yamaha instrument was not able to read it.
Thank you all once again. Now I need to figure out how to change the voice instruments of the deferent channels.

SeaGtGruff

Reaction score
What software are you using to create the MIDI file? Your DAW or other MIDI editor should let you insert "Bank Select" and "Program Change" messages in each track (or MIDI channel), which is how you tell the keyboard which of its voices you want it to use for each track. Your keyboard's documentation should include a list of its available voices and what their Bank Select and Program Change values are. If you tell us which DAW or MIDI editor you're using, I might be able to post some step-by-step instructions and screenshots.

Reaction score
Hi sir,
I created the track on yamaha psr 3000 then I use image line (fl studio 12.02) software to sequence it as it's easier to correct the notes of the midi file created on yamaha. Also it's very convenient to create notes in fl studio.

Reaction score
My actual query is for example if I have 20 bars in a song, is it possible on a particular chanel from bar 1 to 5 if I want use grand piano and from bar 6 to 10 I want to use trumpet and from bar 11 to 20 a different voice instrument.
This is possible if I'm sequencing the track on yamaha. But I don't know how to do it to the external sequenced midi track.

SeaGtGruff

Reaction score
Yes, you can certainly do that. Normally the messages for a channel's Bank Select, Program Change, and other voice settings (e.g., Reverb Level and Chorus Level) are placed at the beginning of the track so they can be executed once, before any of the track's notes need to be sounded. In fact, when you record a MIDI song using your keyboard's built-in song sequencer Yamaha probably inserts a "blank" (i.e., silent) bar at the beginning of each track and puts those "initialization" messages in it, such that the actual notes of the song don't begin until the second bar.

But you can insert additional voice setup messages wherever you want a change to occur, be it switching to a different voice entirely, or just modifying the voice that's already selected-- e.g., by changing its Filter Cutoff Frequency and Filter Resonance Level, bending its notes with Pitch Bend, etc.

I don't own a license for FL Studio, but I might have a trial version installed. If I do, and if there's no trial period (which will surely have expired months ago), I'll see if I can post some screenshots to illustrate. And if there is a trial period that's expired, I still might be able to install another trial version on my laptop. :)

SeaGtGruff

Reaction score
The good news is that the demo/trial version of FL Studio doesn't have a trial period. I'd installed it on this computer a couple of years ago, but then had uninstalled it for some reason, so I've reinstalled the latest version.

The bad news is that I've taken a preliminary look at FL Studio and I'm lost, so I'm going to have to familiarize myself with it to figure out what instructions to give you-- assuming FL Studio can actually do what I've said it can, which it ought to be able to do, although now I'm not so sure whether it can.

The general term that applies to what you're wanting to do is "automation lane," which you can add to an audio or MIDI track for automating certain parameters used by that track. The automatable parameters depend on the type of track. For an audio track you can normally automate only volume and panning, since those are about the only two parameters you can change on an audio track. For a MIDI track you should be able to automate almost any type of MIDI event. Some DAWs identify a third type of track-- an instrument track-- which is a type of MIDI track except the output goes to a virtual instrument rather than to a MIDI device. For an instrument track the automatable parameters usually depend on the virtual instrument that's assigned to the track.

Reaction score
Hi thank you for the efforts you are making to find solutions. I enquired this matter one of my musician friend who uses Kong keyboard. According to him after exporting midi file from software we can change the voice instrument of each track on the keyboard. But he doesn't know how to do it on yamaha as he is using Kong.
So let me again try to read and understand yamaha psr3000 manual song creater option.
If you get time please check this section of the manual and if you come up with the concussion kindly update me.
Many thanks.
Jason

SeaGtGruff

Reaction score
Okay, Jason, I'll do that! And if for some reason FL Studio doesn't have an option for inserting Bank Select, Program Change, and other Control Change events in a MIDI automation track, there are definitely some free DAWs and MIDI editors that can do this.

By the way, which computer operating system are you on? I had assumed Windows, and I can't see any links on Image-Line's web site for downloading a Mac or Linux version, but I suppose you could be running the Windows version on a Mac or Linux system. The reason I ask is in case it helps with suggesting any programs.

There is a program for Windows called MixMaster by Michael P. Bedesem, available for free at http://psrtutorial.com/MB/mixMaster.html, which should let you make just about any desired changes to a MIDI file. It works with both song files and style files. Best of all, it has a list of all of the PSR-3000's built-in voices, so you won't need to look up any Bank Select and Program Change values from your keyboard's manual. :)

Reaction score
Sir,
Great Software. I just installed. I think this will solve my problem. I can view all the controls along with voice change function.

Now i need to learn how to use it.

Thank you sir..:)

Last edited:

SeaGtGruff

Reaction score
Yes, it is a great piece of software, and I'm sort of embarrassed that I didn't think to mention it from the get-go. :)

Reaction score
Never mind Sir,
Today I was trying to explore the software at office. I'm sure it will solve my issue. I tried to change some of the channel voices and it worked.
Thank you again Sir.

Reaction score
Hi there,

I was tring to open misi track in PSR 3000 usin an external usb . THE FILE FOLDER NAME IS DISPLAYED BUT THE MIDI TRACK ARE NOT APPEARING IN THE DISPLAY PANEL. cAN YOU PL. HELP ME TO PLAY THESE MIDI TRACKS IN THE usb, currently THEY ARE NOT SHOWN IN THE
PANEL.
sUMITH

Ask a Question