Yamaha PSR-433 Note Duration & Sustain

Reaction score
Hello. I have a Yamaha PSR-e433 keyboard. I am trying to increase the duration of the notes when held down. When I hold down notes or chords, the sound on the Grand Piano setting fades after about only three seconds. This is not so with some of the other voices (eg Strings), or a real grand piano. I have even acquired a sustain pedal, but it only allowed for the notes to continue after my fingers left them, and only for the aforementioned 3 seconds. Even in garageband, when used as a midi keyboard, and using garageband's voices, the sound fades after 3 seconds. Any insight on how to prolong the duration of the notes before they fade to silence? And help would be greatly appreciated.
For example, I want to hold down a chord for 15 seconds, not just 3

Reaction score
Long loop sampling chews up memory. The longer the loop the bigger the sample and the more memory needed and the more costly the process to record the sample and prep the sample. A PSR e-433 doesn't have the best of piano samples. You'll need a professional keyboard; so open up your wallet and say "ah". Another alternative is to buy a VST plug-in and use the PSR to drive the VST via MIDI. Try something like Ivory or pianoteq.

http://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/1947505/Pianoteq vs Ivory II.html

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Check your manual and see if you can tweak the ADSR Envelope settings.

ADSR stands for Attack, Decay, Sustain, Release.

If possible adjust the Sustain and Release for larger values.

If that's not an option then you are outta luck.

Then again it's not realistic to expect $40,000 grand piano sound from a $300 keyboard.

You should however, at least be able to tweak the ADSR Envelope in Garageband if nothing else works.

Gary

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
VST = Virtual synthesizer Technology = Soft Synth

You run it on your computer and control it with your keyboard.

Reaction score
Rather than have all of the 'technology' (the samples, the effects, etc.) contained within the keyboard itself and thereby limiting you to whatever the manufacturer put in the keyboard as your sound origination, the VST's run on your computer (laptop, Ipad) and you then use your keyboard as simply the physical controller of those sounds or effects running on your laptop/Ipad. This is the direction the world is heading. In your case if you don't like the piano sound, purchase an "app" of a truly inspiring grand piano as a plug-in and your laptop/Ipad is the device that hosts that app. Your PSR is then connected (via MIDI) to your device and 'plays' the grand piano.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtual_Studio_Technology

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MIDI

Last edited:
Reaction score
What's the difference between that and midi though? In garageband, my keyboard is used merely for ease of keys, as using the computer's keyboard for making music is rather difficult compared to a piano keyboard. Garageband edits the sounds and effects. Is midi the same as VST?

Reaction score
For anyone in the future reading this, after emails with yamaha support, there is essentially no way to increase sustain duration for more than a few seconds on the psr e433 keyboard. You would Have to do it on a computer program, eg VST host, etc

Reaction score
What's the difference between that and midi though? In garageband, my keyboard is used merely for ease of keys, as using the computer's keyboard for making music is rather difficult compared to a piano keyboard. Garageband edits the sounds and effects. Is midi the same as VST?
garageband would be the VST and your psr would be the midi device that triggers the sounds in garageband. But I wasn't talking garageband quality, I was talking a VST like pianoteq where when you play and hear the piano you say "wow, that sounds just like a $40,000 steinway!"

Reaction score
Pianoteq and Ivory both look very nice.... Do you have any suggestions that are free to use, similar to those softwares?

Ask a Question