Yamaha PSR 540 MIDI USB Connection?

Mat

Reaction score
I have a PSR 540 keyboard and own a cable which has a USB connection at one end and two MIDI connections at the other (IN and OUT). I want to use the keyboard with Reason 4 software. I have tried to plug and play, and tried installing the Yamaha MIDI USB driver, however the installation stops and says no device is recognized. What do I need to install or do I need alternative hardware?

Thanks in Advance

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Take a look in your control panel under device manager under multimedia and sound devices and see if the MIDI to USB adapter is recognized and doesn't have a yellow exclamation beside it.

If everything looks good in there then all you have to do is configure your Reason software to recognize the MIDI interface and specifically the Yamaha keyboard.

At that point it should work. No extra drivers should be required.

Gary

PS. Make sure you plug the MIDI OUT cable to the MIDI IN port on the keyboard and vice versa.

99% of people mix that up the first time. ;)

Mat

Reaction score
The device is not recognized in the Device Manager. It is under Unknown Devices.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Uninstall the Yamaha driver and check again.

What version of windows are you using?

Try and use Device Manager to let Windows search for the correct driver.

After these steps get back to us.

Reaction score
Try, keyboard ON first and than PC. If you use Windows it should say 'Found New Hardware' and installs the relevant driver. It is plug and play and you don't need other drivers. I have used the same set up for years. As Happyrat1 already mentioned, make sure the midi in-out is correctly set. Try also reverse these plugs, it won't harm keyboard or PC.

Ask a Question